swede

• 8 Replies

rowlandwells

swede
« on: October 30, 2021, 12:00 »
we haven't had much luck  growing swede this season so I've been looking at ways to improve growing  swede I know the old way is to drill the seed then gap them out to one plant as my Dad used to do this for a local farmer years ago

but I've been told if i start the seed of in a module say 2 seed per station then take the weakest one out leaving the strongest one to grow then transplant the swede plant when its a larger plant into the ground doing that method you have a better chance of getting swede?

I did this sort of method  this year but sowed far to many seed per station and they where like mustard and cress spindly plants not a bit of good waste of time planting them  >:(

so I'm keen to try this method again as said 2 seed per station then set the swede plants in  Bio-degradable sheet to promote  both growth and weed control as being Bio-degradable the sheet  can be  composted  when the swede is cleared from the raised bed and hopefully we mite even get some decent swede

so what's your thoughts on this method of growing swede perhaps like some you start yours of in paper pots or other methods any replies on growing swede will I'm sure be well worth reading

AndyRVTR

Re: swede
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2021, 12:53 »
Sounds a bit of a faff on imo but give it a go, what's the worst that could happen!
I tried 2 ways this year, direct sown, and sown into 1" module trays, the direct sown swede were very poor, fair germination (took a while) but a lot went to seed or just didn't swell up. The module grown one's faired much, much better, set away under glass and 100% germination, once they were big enough to go out I hardened them off over a week and simply planted them into their final growing stations.
We had a bumper crop and ended up slicing, dicing, blanching and freezing a fair few pounds.

Nobbie

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2021, 14:58 »
I find direct sowing and then regular thinning and weeding to keep them growing strongly works well. The biggest problem with Swede is the sheer variety of pests that attack them, flea beetle, slugs, pigeons, caterpillars, rabbits, mice, aphids and mildew.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2021, 16:10 »
I use modules but only put a couple of seeds into each and pull one seedling out if they both germinate.  I always do a few extra modules and then if I get a blind one with no seedlings, it is not the end of the world. 

It’s a more reliable method for me than banking on being that ahead of the game I thin the modules as soon as the plants are up  :blush:  :lol:

jaydig

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2021, 18:25 »
I grow mine like New Shoot does.  I tried lots of other ways, but one year I accidentally (I don't know how), managed to get a few swede seeds mixed up with the sprouts and sowed them in pots in the same way as NewS does. I treated them exactly like sprouts, potting them into 3" pots individually and growing them on until they had about four decent leaves. I then planted them out in the sprout rows and noticed after a while that they looked very different, only to discover later that they were, in fact swedes. They turned out to be the only swedes I had ever managed to grow that had a proper rounded swede shape and were a really good size.

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2021, 12:02 »
well that topic seems to have gone down well given me much inspiration to that growing method so onto  the next thing to conquer Parsnips  :ohmy:

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2021, 15:54 »
Planted my swede directly in ground, under insect netting, with slug pellets down. A few seedlings appeared, then next week no trace, planted again, same thing, either not germinated or eaten by something in between my visits! Gave up at that point. So swedeless this year !
I think I will try the two seeds in a pot, and plant out method next year, seems to work with other veg ok.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2021, 15:58 »
I always sow in modules and then plant out with a good handful of chicken pellets in the bottom of the planting hole - it seems to make a lot of difference to the size, on my soil.

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2021, 16:14 »
I'll bear that in mind MOS, thanks for the tip.

xx
3 1/2lb swede

Started by Beetroot Queen on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 15, 2014, 18:45
by Ema
xx
Swede

Started by andyindevon on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 02, 2008, 08:45
by DD.
xx
Swede

Started by Truffle on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 13, 2013, 09:11
by Truffle
xx
swede

Started by keith on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 20, 2007, 12:17
by keith

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 46 queries.