looking back over my shoulder

• 11 Replies

rowlandwells

looking back over my shoulder
« on: October 14, 2021, 11:59 »
as we are coming to the end of yet another gardening year looking back over my shoulder what's been achieved from our allotments this growing season and yes we have failures but also good results  can't complain so on reflection do you think you've achieved what you set out to do at the beginning of the season

and have you learnt anything from this season that could help you growing wise for next season both in terms of the varieties you grew and perhaps changes you need to make to improve soil conditions changing varieties trying new varieties and so on

well we have several months now to ponder over all these things  I know I have learned many new things about growing from this site and others because  ones never to old to learn new tricks sharing good sound advise with other's which only helps us gardeners to achieve our goal at the end of the day

I'm sure there will be many up and coming gardeners that will welcome the advise from professional gardeners on this site over the coming months

Goosegirl

Re: looking back over my shoulder
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 13:01 »
Growing on a slightly acid soil for the first time and not having to compete with salty winds has been quite a learning experience. My snap peas, climbing French beans and sweetcorn both outside and in the greenhouse were very poor but beetroots, carrots and greenhouse toms did fine. I particularly noticed how lovely and green all the leaves were (including my ornamental flowers) and saw nary a sign of deficiencies or other blemishes. Just harvested our first leeks today so will let you know how they taste. Next year I'll add some calcified seaweed to sweeten the soil and see how things go, plus I need some new veg seeds so will have a good look to see what will be suitable for the table that will fit into my little veg area. 
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2021, 14:37 »
I don't think I'll ever stop learning about my favourite pastime, because there's so much to do around now, but for the future, like plan for next year, think about space, what was a good idea, what was just silly this year etc.

The lawns stay a few days longer before being cut, and the hedge trimmer is put away, we can all just do a bit of real 'thinking'!

Nobbie

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2021, 10:19 »
Two big learning points for me this year have been recognising cabbage root fly and the need for a concerted campaign against slugs next year. On the plus side I have been delighted with the ruby chard I sowed between my garlic in June. It will be interesting to see how long it stays productive.

Learnerlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2021, 17:59 »
I  managed successional sowing of peas, beetroot pak choi carrots and lettuce so avoided gluts. Not sure if the "popcorn" sweetcorn worked as not harvested yet then need to dry before trying. Didn't manage to get any peanuts so on the list for nrxt year. Going to reduce liquid feed on fig as too many fruits that wont, develop and far fewer this year. Putting netting on onions and around cobnut as was thrilled to see fruits but birds\squirrel other got them befor us. Improved marking of seedlings and drawing up a plan for rotation next year.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2021, 18:14 »
The main thing I learnt this year is that I can't manage a full 10 perch plot any more  ::) so have given back half.
Another is that the layer of greensand that underlies the allotments, is only about 15ins below the surface where I planted the climbing berries. This year they dried out badly so produced little fruit. Must add a load more compost manure over that bed, to help with water retention.

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2021, 06:19 »
We keep looking back at when we had a full plot and a half, just for the two of us, and as they reduced to nothing, we now have the issue with the value of even growing some veg at home, like PSB, which provides - say - twenty decent pickings from ten or so plants, but takes up a heck of a lot of space...

Mum, you encouraged us to go more for 'Square Foot' gardening, and it seems to have worked well this year, (except for the forest of PSB), so maybe even a couple of neat rows of Pentland Javelin next year instead?

Lovely position to be in around now...

jambop

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2021, 10:34 »

Looking back over this season make me appreciate how much changing from open ground to raised beds has not only made my gardening easier but improved cropping. I have had very few failures this year and some real successes carrots, parsnips, onions, potatoes, fennel, aubergines were spectacular and tomatoes and squashes did well in a poor season. The only real failure was garlic but I put that down to myself it was a late decision to grow it and it went in in the spring and it should have be in in autumn. I am also learning that even though there are fewer weeds with raised beds fabric covering is a game changer. I had one bed of tomatoes with fabric over the bed there is going to be a lot more used next year, no weeds great crop and less watering!

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2021, 12:57 »
Very successful carrots this year on my claggy clay soil. Dug a trench about the width of a spade to same depth, and filled with a mix of compost and sand. Trench was about 3 metres long on the allotment. Some really nice size normal shape carrots. Happy Days  :)

rowlandwells

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2021, 16:30 »
I'm going to try that method next year bobbyt that trench idea sounds good to me by the way did you  net the crop against the dreaded carrot fly ?

Grubbypaws

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2021, 14:10 »
Two lessons that I will take from this year.

I have 4 raised beds in which I grow my veg. I have always sewn directly into the soil but this year I sewed into cells placed in my mini greenhouse in succession. It worked brilliantly for Chard, Pak Choi, salad leaves, Parsley and Coriander. Much healthier plants, less susceptible to slugs and easy to pop in once older plants had been harvested. Definitely the way to go for me. The only thing that fared best when planted directly into the soil was the beetroot.

Years ago I bought air-pots which I have never really liked/used. This year I ran out of containers so decided to use them. I planted 4 with PSB which I will not do again as they dried out and so needed a lot more attention. The remaining 2 I put curly parsley in and they have done brilliantly; far better than the parsley put into the raised beds! Next year I will put all my parsley both flat and curly into the air-pots which will free up 4 foot by 3 foot of raised bed for another crop.

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2021, 16:11 »
Yes RW, put Enviromesh over them, only trouble I had with a few of them, was something nibbling the tops of the carrot...mice, rats maybe.

xx
Back at last

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 22, 2013, 08:11
by Beetroot queen
xx
I'm Back

Started by DellDGM on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 04, 2008, 17:28
by gobs
xx
looking back!

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 10, 2012, 18:09
by pawsnclaws
xx
Back again

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 22, 2010, 09:26
by stompy

Page created in 0.304 seconds with 52 queries.