Succulents

• 8 Replies

Plot 6B

• NRAA Website
Succulents
« on: December 20, 2021, 21:23 »
How are yours doing in a unheated Greenhouse. Ours are suffering and losing leaves, any ideas please. Thanks in advance.
The fruits of success come from hard work!
A.K.A. Nige2plots

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Succulents
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2021, 07:32 »
What kind are you talking about?   Echiveria and Aeonium or the more tender types?  The first 2 will stand quite cold temperatures, so long as the soil they are in is very free draining and kept dry over winter.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2021, 12:36 »
I have quite  few different types.  Last year I put them in a bathroom that is only set on frost free, and doesn't really get used.   They still lost loads of leaves etc.   This year they are in the un-heated garage and lots of leaves are already dropping off.    They will have to take their chance and I will give them the kiss of life next spring.    Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Plot 6B

• NRAA Website
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2021, 18:14 »
What kind are you talking about?   Echiveria and Aeonium or the more tender types?  The first 2 will stand quite cold temperatures, so long as the soil they are in is very free draining and kept dry over winter.

They are Aeonium's New Shoot.

Plot 6B

• NRAA Website
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2021, 18:16 »
I have quite  few different types.  Last year I put them in a bathroom that is only set on frost free, and doesn't really get used.   They still lost loads of leaves etc.   This year they are in the un-heated garage and lots of leaves are already dropping off.    They will have to take their chance and I will give them the kiss of life next spring.    Mrs Bouquet

Thank you, I hope they grow back for you!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2021, 09:03 »
I used to grow a couple of Aoeniums and I’d echo Mrs B’s experience about them dropping leaves over winter even when kept indoors in a cool room.

They are incredibly tough plants.  If they get really leggy, you can cut the stem effectively removing all the leaves and they re sprout.  It actually makes them better as they then throw 2 or 3 new buds out and all grow and develop leaves.  That option is best left until the spring when light levels and warmth increase though  :)

Plot 6B

• NRAA Website
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2021, 18:31 »
I used to grow a couple of Aoeniums and I’d echo Mrs B’s experience about them dropping leaves over winter even when kept indoors in a cool room.

They are incredibly tough plants.  If they get really leggy, you can cut the stem effectively removing all the leaves and they re sprout.  It actually makes them better as they then throw 2 or 3 new buds out and all grow and develop leaves.  That option is best left until the spring when light levels and warmth increase though  :)

Thanks I'll certainly try that in the spring. Thank you!

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2022, 10:45 »
How are yours doing in a unheated Greenhouse. Ours are suffering and losing leaves, any ideas please. Thanks in advance.
My experience is they're tough! Move the dead leaves so there's nothing for mould to grow on & give them a good water & feed in spring & they'll recover ok.
I have cacti and succulents in a porch that gets down to just above freezing. According to my book the cacti should be above 5 C but its definitely below that some nights. I think I get away with it because they're very dry, ( I never water them in December or January & very sparingly the rest of the year) and because I only feed or repot them in spring, so any fleshy new growth has matured before the cold months.

Plot 6B

• NRAA Website
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2022, 21:26 »
My experience is they're tough! Move the dead leaves so there's nothing for mould to grow on & give them a good water & feed in spring & they'll recover ok.
I have cacti and succulents in a porch that gets down to just above freezing. According to my book the cacti should be above 5 C but its definitely below that some nights. I think I get away with it because they're very dry, ( I never water them in December or January & very sparingly the rest of the year) and because I only feed or repot them in spring, so any fleshy new growth has matured before the cold months.

Thanks for that!!

xx
Cacti and other succulents

Started by mickthecactus on General Gardening

31 Replies
Last post July 25, 2012, 16:39
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 49 queries.