Raised beds plans

• 2 Replies
Raised beds plans
« on: February 03, 2008, 14:30 »
I'm just about in a position to start building some raised beds in my garden and would appreciate some advice please.

I read a topic a couple of weeks ago when someone recommended laying raised beds North to South, is this the commonly held view or just one persons opinion? and if this is the best way to lay them can someone explain why as the recommendation for siting a greenhouse is to position it East to West.

Also, due to the area where the beds are going being lower lying than the rest of the garden it flooded during the heavy rains recently. We took some advise and raised the level by adding a couple of inches of limestone chippings (which will hopefully impove drainage). The beds are going to be about 18inches high, will it be ok just putting top soil into the beds on top of the chippings or will this affect the alkalinity of the soil?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

GreenOwl

Raised beds plans
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 15:03 »
I saw the post about N-S beds and nearly posted to ask why.  I would site them E-W as that follows the sun.  Having said that I've just realised my veg patch is N-S but then I don't really have any other option in the garden.

No idea about the limestone chippings but the raised beds are certainly a good idea.

Trillium

Raised beds plans
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 15:49 »
I agree with Green Owl. My beds are N-S oriented as I too have no other choice other than super long beds which I don't want. As for output, mine do just fine with ample hummus added to the soil and regular waterings.

xx
seed beds and raised beds...

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 22, 2008, 19:57
by woodburner
xx
Raised Beds

Started by ij rowley on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 17, 2010, 17:21
by fletcherbaker
xx
Raised Beds

Started by Bay Laurel on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 07, 2014, 12:41
by Bay Laurel
xx
Raised beds

Started by sandygreen on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 15, 2010, 15:38
by sandygreen

Page created in 0.279 seconds with 29 queries.