Just some photos.

• 22 Replies

Lynne

Just some photos.
« on: January 30, 2008, 10:36 »
Here is the allotment in July 2007 when I took it on, some of the rubbish cleared and now. It helps to remind me that I have done quite a lot really when I have those days when I think there is still so much to do. :roll:

The free shed I was given can be seen at the bottom, and if you look carefully just in front of the shed, you can see the bath I have got hold of which is for my carrots. :D

Lynne.

So much to do, but so little time.

paintedlady

Just some photos.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 10:42 »
are those nettles in the first picture :shock:   You've done well but I know about putting yourself under pressure - you have to keep reminding yourself that it is still only winter and there's still time.

PS  A bit of advice about the bath - make sure the plug hole is cleared and there is a definite drainage.  Mine turned into a giant mudbath last year but the squash I had growing didn't seem to mind too much!
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Lynne

Just some photos.
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 11:02 »
Yes painted lady, the whole plot was covered with nettles, brambles and ground elder. Also a vandalised and burned shed and two greenhouses, so lots of broken glass as well as car wheels, ironing boards, old furniture etc. I've probably cleared about two thirds now leaving the bit you can see on the right hand side of the plot to finish.

Thanks goodness for mattocks and azadas.

I've checked that the bath is free flowing and I might put a couple of bricks at the bottom to help with drainage too, thanks for the tip.

Trillium

Just some photos.
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 14:35 »
Well done, Lynne. And nice to see the old clawfoots put to good use. For the bottom of your tub you could try a layer of gravel, probably from your plot, for good drainage. And lots of sand in the soil mix.

jolly jen

• Experienced Member
  • half of my crop of BNS & pumpkins
Just some photos.
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 16:32 »
oh my god it looks far worse then my new plot,,,which i have to clear.

i have a bath and a oil drum ,i plan to grow a herb garden in the bath once i empty the rain water and put some drainage holes in.will follow the tip about the bricks ,thanks
Self-sufficient in rasberries and onions....

wildeone

Just some photos.
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 17:10 »
Gosh you've been hard at it!!! All the work that goes in makes me nervous. I hope i'm as good at it!!!  :oops:

Well done  8)

Selkie

Just some photos.
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 17:14 »
:shock: I've never seen so many nettles in one place!

SkipRat

Just some photos.
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 22:48 »
Well done on your plot it looks great. I noticed that you had a lot of nettles, it may be worth checking your soil ph as nettles are known to thrive in soil which is on the acid side.  :D
I used to work in a helium gas factory, but I walked out, no one talks to me like that.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Just some photos.
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 23:38 »
I heard/read that nettles mean fertile soil so you've got a good one there Lynne!

Congrats, that's a lot of hard work done there!

Rob the rake

Just some photos.
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2008, 07:55 »
Quote from: "SnooziSuzi"
I heard/read that nettles mean fertile soil so you've got a good one there Lynne!

Yes, nettles are a good indicator of soil fertility. You may want to invest in a decent pair of gardening gloves, as you will no doubt have many nettle seedlings to deal with this growing season.

If you don't mind the odd nettle sting, it's meant to be a good remedy for aches and pains, rheumatism in particular.

I've included a couple of interesting links explaining the use and history of the humble stinging nettle. It's reckoned to be one of natures great medicines.

http://susunweed.com/herbal_ezine/march04/wisewoman.htm

http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/n/nettle03.html
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

Salkeela

• Experienced Member
Just some photos.
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2008, 09:01 »
We are plagued by nettles here too.  When I first started gardening I found nettle stings really terrible, and the site of the sting would have swollen up that night.  

Several years on and they have much less effect on me.  I have even been known to pull them with out gloves.

Interestingly I also suffer less back pain after gardening too (although that could just be a fitness issue).
Sally (N.Ireland) Organic as far as I know!

Plant plenty.  Celebrate success.  (Let selective memory deal with the rest.)

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Just some photos.
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2008, 10:07 »
Re being stung by nettles;  my plot was covered in them last year so I was being stung all of the time, but I found that if you don't rub the area that was stung and just leave it alone it doesn't itch or come up in raised lumps.

Now all I do if I get stung is get on with what I was doing and I know that the sting won't get any further in because I'm not rubbing it into my skin!

Deano

Just some photos.
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2008, 12:04 »
I think the 'sting' in nettles is caused by a small sac of formic acid on the end of each point. The same stuff (formaldehyde?) that is used to embalm dead bodies. So careful you don't fall in a big patch!!

Well done on your hard work and i hope all them nettles went on the compost heap.
It's a fine line between hobby and mental illness.

WG.

Just some photos.
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2008, 12:25 »
formic acid / formaldehyde are two different chemicals.  Sorry to be pedantic but someone else would have been if I hadn't.  :wink:  :D

Where is mushy anyhow?  :lol:  :lol:

Deano

Just some photos.
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2008, 12:30 »
Quote from: "WG."
formic acid / formaldehyde are two different chemicals.

So i can't use my nettle patch to embalm in the future....shame!

xx
... more photos

Started by paintedlady on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 29, 2008, 09:47
by eco-friendly
xx
photos

Started by Rampant_Weasel on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 03, 2008, 23:28
by Rampant_Weasel
xx
Photos please

Started by beth123 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 25, 2011, 18:07
by Yorkie
xx
Before and after photos

Started by Janeymiddlewife on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 01, 2009, 12:00
by DD.

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 37 queries.