the dreaded Wicken Grass

• 10 Replies

Jeanieblue

• Experienced Member
the dreaded Wicken Grass
« on: October 27, 2006, 21:38 »
..or at least that's what Grandad used to call it - it's couch or cutch up here in the NE.  On our neglected allotment we have a bumper crop of the stuff. I know to dig it out inch by inch - and that once the plot is dug over, that it at least gets easier to tug out and loads of fun can be had holding competitions as to who gets the longest string.  BUT it's the getting rid of the heap of grassy, tufty, stringy bits afterwards that's posing me a headache. I've read about burning it, drowning it, burying it six feet under, even feeding it to next doors rabbits so that they can convert it into bunny poo for me. Is it at all possible to compost it?  At the moment it's sitting on a plastic sheet, covered with another plastic sheet, so it isn't going or growing anywhere! Thanks in advance for your advice. Jean
Still glowing, still growing, still going strong!

muntjac

the dreaded Wicken Grass
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 23:55 »
skip it . let the local council tip sort it for you , non of the other things work unless you put it in a public incinerator
still alive /............

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
the dreaded Wicken Grass
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 09:36 »
Sounds like you've read up all he answers - pretty sure you'll be OK if you burn it and encase the ashes in glass which you can drop into the bottom of a deep cave.

More serious, to compost effectively I'd use one of those plastic compost bins.  I've had the darn stuff grow and fill an outdoor heap with its roots.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Gwiz

the dreaded Wicken Grass
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 13:05 »
wonder if it could be turned into a string vest? :lol:

Jeanieblue

• Experienced Member
the dreaded Wicken Grass
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 14:16 »
Thanks for all the useful tips. Can't do with digging that bottomless pit though.  Did a search in Google and discovered it's possible to buy and sell couch grass on eBay - they'll tell you anything to check out their site, eh!  But the thought of saving all the longest stringy bits, rolling it into one ounce balls, and selling it to unwitting knitters  does rather appeal.  Found another website which claims it's good for the bladder and other bodily functions, with instructions on how to grow it no less!  Which answers my other burning question which I didn't dare raise on this website, being a newbie - CAN YOU EAT IT ?

On a more sensible note, have started bagging it up in black plastic bags to take to the tip - half full cos my muscles aren't quite developed enough yet. Before anyone says, I'll empty the bags out at the tip - promise! Meantime, the bags are earning their keep by forming a plastic 'weed suppressant' in the great big lidless 'cold frame' we've inherited.  For growing leeks?  It will certainly spring leaks cos there are some holes in the corrugated plastic sides.  

Am very pleased with myself today  :D  hence this long-winded blog - because I've finished digging my first patch - it looks like a raised bed, and has boards from my friend's old piano along one side to separate it from the area designated for the composters. Happy digging, Jean

Annie

the dreaded Wicken Grass
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 15:57 »
If it can be eaten or made into a beverage someone on this site will know.In the meanwhile steady does it and you will beat it and there will be loads more space for new weeds(sorry,only joking).

Dragonfly

the dreaded Wicken Grass
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 16:13 »
Quote from: "Jeanieblue"

On a more sensible note, have started bagging it up in black plastic bags to take to the tip - half full cos my muscles aren't quite developed enough yet. Before anyone says, I'll empty the bags out at the tip - promise! Jean

This is what I am doing as well. Couch seems to start from small pieces and then run all over the place.  I think when it has occupied as much space as possible it starts weaving itself into itself and forming a thatch structure.  It is this I have been removing by digging a spade's worth at a time and prizing the soil from the roots and bagging the roots.  Whilst I know I haven't got every single bit, at least I know when I dig it all again in spring it will be a tenth of the work.

Well done you  and keep at it - you will have muscles on your spit [as they say] by the time you have finished.  

regards
Dragonfly

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
the dreaded Wicken Grass
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2006, 17:29 »
It's quite amazing what people can and will eat - but I've never heard of people eating couch grass.

shaun

the dreaded Wicken Grass
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2006, 17:41 »
that stuff will choke a donkey  :)
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

Jeanieblue

• Experienced Member
the dreaded Wicken Grass
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006, 08:28 »
Check out this website for medicinal use for wicken. http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Elytrigia+repens
Bon appetit. Jean

Jeanieblue

• Experienced Member
the dreaded Wicken Grass
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 08:38 »
Whoops, meant to mention the following brew - must be an American website cos they have problems with skunks and snakes on their lotties.

Couch Grass Rhizome Tea:
for preventing mildew and fungus disease
To make: Put a handful of fresh rhizomes in a glass pot. Pour 1 quart of boiling water over rhizomes, cover and let steep for 10 minutes. Strain, let cool and use right away !

So, will try that out in the future and report back. I'm off to dig.

xx
Carrots and the dreaded `fly`

Started by hogwarden on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post August 16, 2011, 18:45
by NASH
xx
Dreaded blight?

Started by Totty on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 23, 2011, 19:35
by Totty
xx
Have I got the dreaded lurgy

Started by Mr Mole on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 21:52
by PennyS
xx
Dreaded Frost

Started by Uzzy on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 21, 2017, 21:50
by Barry C

Page created in 0.367 seconds with 39 queries.