Eager to get going again

• 8 Replies

Don Cameron

Eager to get going again
« on: December 31, 2011, 11:34 »
Getting winter blues already, just need to get on my little plot that I love so much, look at it every day and planning in my mind what I am going to do. My Aquaduice Claudia broad beans that I planted late November are now 6/8 inches high, I had to run strings across yesterday to support them from the wind, crazy weather, trouble is ground is to wet to go stopping about on it! come on spring, I'm waiting for you!! :D
Don the Smoothie

Goosegirl

Re: Eager to get going again
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 13:32 »
Can I have some of your enthusiasm please? Due to family illnesses and things, plus a bad spell of deep depression, my garden suffered last year and my passion for it seemed to go out the window. I am ready to go now - but - we have had so much rain here that everything is sopping wet as well as looking a mess. Perhaps I should start by cleaning my greenhouse inside and getting rid of the many spider nests there while I'm at it ( ???). Anyone have any other suggestions?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Don Cameron

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 13:55 »
Hi, Goosegirl, ! am so sorry to hear how things have been for you, I understand exactly where you are coming from and I sincerly hope that 2012 will hold better things for you.
Cleaning the greenhouse is an excellent choice at this time of year, I have spent the last month planning for the New Year and going through all the plant and vegatable catalogues to keep occupied, lets hope as soon as the first ray of sunshine appears you will get the inspiration to kick of again, I cannot think of anything better for perking ones selve up! best wishes and good luck for the New Year.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 14:26 »
I agree, the seed order is now finished and I'm just waiting for some brightness to venture out and tidy the garden and then the greenhouse. I've got some more roses to plant, they were quickly just potted up before the holiday, when I ran out of time.
The lotty is already fairly tidy, and quite a lot of the digging was done in the autumn, so only the bits where there are still winter crops, to be forked over as the soil becomes workable.

The reality is that we still have to get through at least another couple of months more, before the season really gets going....but there's always lots of planning to be done :)

Don Cameron

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 14:34 »
Wow, you have been busy, I agree about the next two months, nobody hates January and February more than I do, would'nt it be nice to have pleasent warm weather with occasional rain at night all year round but I bet we still would not be happy, I have only got a small plot at the rear of the property which I find fairly restricted to what I can do but it gives to me a very enjoyble interest and anything that comes out of the ground is always a bonus. :blink: :blink:

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 16:03 »
You can always do vertical gardening, Don. Things like cukes, squash, climbing beans can always grow upward and save loads of space. I've done my cukes on my Munty frame for several years now and have fabulous crops that the mice can't get to  :tongue2: Can't describe how much space it saves but its a lot.

For munty frame info, here's one of the many past threads from the Search button:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=50801.0

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 16:14 »
Sorry to hear you've had a bad time Goosegirl.  Cleaning the greenhouse is a great way to start and I'm sure once you get going, your passion for growing will respark.

I haven't done much the last couple of months.  Too busy at work and too tired on days off  ::)  Holiday for a week now, so plan is start with the greenhouse, then the veg plots at home, then venture to the plot  :D  Let us know how you get on.  I reckon if I can get the pots cleaned I'm set up for the season  :)

snowdrops

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 16:15 »
Can I have some of your enthusiasm please? Due to family illnesses and things, plus a bad spell of deep depression, my garden suffered last year and my passion for it seemed to go out the window. I am ready to go now - but - we have had so much rain here that everything is sopping wet as well as looking a mess. Perhaps I should start by cleaning my greenhouse inside and getting rid of the many spider nests there while I'm at it ( ???). Anyone have any other suggestions?
Sorry to hear how you've been feeling.I empathise with you as I felt the same last year & have had a bad spell of not doing much towards the end of this year due to the menopause kicking in big time. I find making a list & then breaking it down in to tiny tiny chunks really helpful.Also exercise & being outside help with depression it works on the melatonin /seratonin levels which affect your mood. Most of all enjoy whatever you do manage to do.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Auntiemogs

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 20:27 »
I agree with snowdrops goosegirl. Tiny steps so you feel you have achieved something without becoming overwhelmed. If you're not up to cleaning it all at once, just go and have a sit in it and make your list of jobs to do.  :happy:
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

xx
Eager

Started by Lynne on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 12, 2008, 11:29
by agapanthus
xx
Eager to get growing

Started by plopleuk on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 01, 2010, 15:24
by compostqueen
xx
eager asparagus crowns

Started by Gareth J on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 31, 2009, 13:25
by DD.

Page created in 0.369 seconds with 42 queries.