Council Compost

• 16 Replies

Scullion

Council Compost
« on: June 20, 2011, 22:37 »
My mate says that Dundee City Council sell bags of compost for 50p. Apparently there is a massive heap of well-rotted compost, at one if their skip sites... which is made up from garden and kitchen waste collected from people's homes (and god knows where else).

I'm still to enquire as to if Harlow Council offer the same deal, but would anybody trust using this on their veg? Surely there is a slight risk of the compost carrying diseases, or certain weed killers, etc...  :wacko:

simonwatson

Re: Council Compost
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 23:31 »
Disease from industrial composting is much less likely than home composting due to the high temperatures involved. If the compost has come mainly from food and home garden waste, there are unlikely to be significant amounts of persistent weed killers (most of the waste will be food or lawn clippings) and pretty much zero chance of aminopyralid.

If you're worried, get one bag and try growing some stuff in pots. 

Debz

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 09:30 »
My brother in law filled his raised beds with it last year.  Ayrshire council have a policy that you bring your own bags and take what you like for free.  He put a load of manure from his own horses in the bottom half and the compost on the top half.  It worked really well and he got great brassicas and huge potatoes.  He has done the same again this year for a new bed.

Beklet

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 12:34 »
Bedfordshire have a policy of turn up to the tip and collect for free....but when we turned up we were told it was limited to 3 bags 'to stop the sllotment people from taking it all' Er...cheers....as I don't have a garden I have no choice lol...

The recycling company sell it for £1.50 a bag, and it's heat treated to kill disease..I've used it on the plot to improve the soil, and in pots for my herbs and although it's not really fine, the plants seem to love it, I've had no problems so far  :)

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 14:42 »
Wish our council had something similar - i guess they must sell theirs on - i believe Wakefield has a decent record in recycling so it must get a good amount to compost

They also dont appear to subsidise compost bins and the like - understand other councils do

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 15:10 »
Our council sells theirs on too  :(

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Turnba

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 20:01 »
Hi all

I know this topic has been dead for a while now, but I came across it doing a google search for the Dundee Council composting scheme. If you're interested in it you can read a few paragraphs about it at http://www.dundeecity.gov.uk/environment/compost/

I'd be interested if it really is as cheap as 50p a bag (and do you need your own bags? :-P ) - has anyone on here used it?

Hesse2509

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 20:29 »
My local council (Thanet) sell it at £2.50 for a 40l bag, and don't subsidise the bins I think.

yorky

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 21:00 »
Just googled to see what happens to all the green waste that Leeds City Council collects. I was surprised to find that 14,000 tonnes per year are collected by a firm based near Hull. Thats a round trip of about 120 miles. Does'nt sound very green to me  >:(
Sets a low standard and fails to achieve it.

someoneorother

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 21:15 »
The landfill site it might have otherwise ended up in isn't necessarily right on your doorstep either.

Poolcue

• Peter's garden and allotment
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 21:20 »
In Sutton we collect it from the recycling centre and its free.

yorky

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 22:08 »
The landfill site it might have otherwise ended up in isn't necessarily right on your doorstep either.

The one for South East Leeds where I live is about 3 miles away. The point I am making is that Leeds Council shout from the rooftops about how green they have become. If they did the same as some other councils and composted the waste on one of their own sites, that would be a lot greener than a fleet of lorrys making a 120 mile round trip on the M62.

viettaclark

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 00:18 »
I think it depends on luck what's in our council compost. I had some very woody stuff.....probably the thousands of recycled Christmas trees. And it's not that cheap either....a private contractor bags and sells it.

bailey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 09:46 »
prob with some councils is that they sell the compostable items on,  with the buyer paying for the transport of it,  some reckon financially this is the better option,, 

Rick the rookie

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2011, 16:44 »

The one for South East Leeds where I live is about 3 miles away. The point I am making is that Leeds Council shout from the rooftops about how green they have become. If they did the same as some other councils and composted the waste on one of their own sites, that would be a lot greener than a fleet of lorrys making a 120 mile round trip on the M62.
Yorky i know exactly where you are talking about and infuriates me like hell as there is a vast amount of disused land around that area for them to do it.
My brother works for one of the many contracted waste collection companies and the stories he tells of companies binning items that could be used elswhere is unbelievable eg Tesco's at Seacroft have 9 skips a day emtied of food that they cannot sell  :wub: why the hell isnt this sent for composting let alone all the cardboard food packaging.....hang on i need to count to ten.
As you have said they ram it down the Leeds folks throats for them to be greener yet they ignore the fact they are the worst culprits just look at the city skyline on a night with the amount of glow you would be mistaken for it being Chenobyl .
I glad i got outa that blooming city when i did
If it's not broke then leave it alone

clip
council compost

Started by luke34 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 16, 2015, 20:51
by Thrutchington
xx
Council compost. Anyone using it?

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

31 Replies
Last post August 28, 2009, 15:48
by lovemyveg
xx
Compost Bin For £5 From My Council

Started by pookey on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 16, 2007, 21:48
by Little Miss Muffet
xx
Council compost

Started by luckypurplebutterfly on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 12, 2008, 01:27
by muntjac

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 39 queries.