Help hurt runner duck

• 2 Replies

Runnerduckkeeper

Help hurt runner duck
« on: February 07, 2007, 09:19 »
I have a problem, my loving hand reared female runner has had a lame leg for a few days but it seemed ok till i let her out this morning, she jumped out and callapsed on the floor and ate laying down, ive just notessed she has a punture wound on it which is bleeding. What can i do can i put a plaster on it to keep it clean and what do i do about her leg, she seems to be walking ok on it but lifitng it and hiding it under her wing every now and again.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Help hurt runner duck
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 10:26 »
She is obviously in pain. :(

Is the wound fresh ?  If so put some wound powder or purple spray (tee tree, anything antiseptic depending what you have) on it.  I would not cover the wound but keep it open and dry do not let her go for a swim while the wound has not healed.  Keep a good eye on her for infection, if she shows any signs - becomes lithargic, has a temperature (feel under her wing to see if she is hot), leg swells, then she may need some antibiotics.  If she is a much loved duck you may be willing to pay a vets bill.

Muntjac has ducks and I'm sure he will be along soon with some advice.

Keep smiling and WELCOME to the site  :D

muntjac

Help hurt runner duck
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 10:35 »
agree with ya agin sally except id pad the bottom of the web with cotton wool and put  babys sock on it tape or tye it on keep it in ya compnay away from water n muck ,,,, follow the rest of what sally says if they do get sick ( fevers etc they will go down qwik) .. temperature side ..take it now feel the skin close to the joint where it joins the body if you have no thermometer n then agin this evening if you consider she is werse ( hotter ) vet her if you want to ,hope that helps
still alive /............

xx
1 aylesbury duck with 1 runner duck

Started by thedalaisheep on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 17, 2011, 10:29
by joyfull
xx
Runner duck off colour

Started by animal mad on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post May 28, 2011, 11:42
by animal mad
xx
Runner duck bedding

Started by Bobbie on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post December 07, 2009, 21:27
by Bobbie
xx
Sitting Runner Duck?

Started by bertiewhite on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 15, 2012, 11:33
by jamima

Page created in 0.244 seconds with 39 queries.