Conundrum - How to get the best out of Strawberries in a PT?

• 2 Replies

adri123

• Experienced Member
Hi

I've noticed this year that everything grown in my raised beds in the PT was much more successful than everything grown in containers.  There were more of them and they were bigger.

I would like therefore to dedicate a couple of beds next year to Strawberries.  But I believe that they need a frost (vernalising) in order to do the best.  So how do I get the benefit of the raised bed AND the benefit of vernalisation?  Or is the raised bed 'effect' going to trump vernalising? 

Any thoughts?

TIA

Adri

ricky

Re: Conundrum - How to get the best out of Strawberries in a PT?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 12:24 »
Hi now I grow my strawberries in containers in the polytunnel then when they have finished fruiting I take them outside to make room for my tomatoes ,a good run of frosting does them the world of good who knows why but it does,mine are all in old 10 litre paint buckets 3 to a bucket 32 buckets and with all the runners I get loads of new plants every year ,I put a wee tad of fish blood and bone every spring and being so far north portglenone n ireland I get strawberries out of my 42 x 16 polytunnel I get strawberries six weeks before anyone else

fatcat1955

Re: Conundrum - How to get the best out of Strawberries in a PT?
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 07:30 »
I planted my strawberries in gro-bags. six plants to a bag, they are in a sheltered outside area until march then they come into the tunnel. I set up a drip watering and feeding system for them and they love it.  I cut off all runners from 1st year plants then bag them up in the second year. 3rd year plants after fruiting are composted.

xx
Polytunnel conundrum

Started by shokkyy on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

4 Replies
Last post November 06, 2011, 18:38
by shokkyy
xx
strawberries

Started by rowlandwells on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

9 Replies
Last post July 20, 2020, 22:21
by Offwego
xx
Strawberries

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

6 Replies
Last post January 22, 2012, 15:38
by sunshineband
xx
Strawberries

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

2 Replies
Last post June 21, 2012, 16:37
by AlaninCarlisle

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 38 queries.