GRASS SNAKE!!

• 20 Replies

belto

GRASS SNAKE!!
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2007, 22:20 »
Hi Bruce girl
what a challenge you have in life a target to go for to overcome your fear.
As a child like many others I was afraid of spiders and I felt weak and insignificant becuse of this little ugly creature.
But constantly challenging myself I have overcome this fear along with Snakes by handling slow worms from my compost.
Go For it and do a little at a time

agapanthus

GRASS SNAKE!!
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2007, 00:30 »
Quote from: "mkhenry"
Quote from: "NATHAN"
To answer your question, it was a little under a meter long

I was on the marron grass at Hemsby sitting on a small bank when I looked down and saw an Adder shedding its skin. It was a warm day and I had been there for about an hour not moving just enjoying the day, so I had not scared it.I watched its struggle and when it had finished I waited until it went and picked up the skin. My niece took it to school the following week for Show and Tell..........However later I had a very itchy ankle which swelled and became painful.You guessed it an Adder had bit me.The doc said it must have been a small one.I never felt the bite at the time but the puncture marks remained visible for weeks.It was still a great privilege to see an Adder let alone watch one shed its skin. 8)

WOW Lucky you....a fantastic sight to see I should imagine:)

Trillium

GRASS SNAKE!!
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2007, 03:19 »
Grass snakes are far more afraid of you than you are of them, so always keep that in mind. They also eat a lot of rodents and such so leave them in peace to do their cleanup duty. However, I once battled a grass snake to literally cough up my resident toad. A few whacks on the snakes tail and he spit out my toad, but I think the stomach acids were already affecting the toad who later died. But at least we both knew who was the real boss of the plot  :lol:

brucesgirl

GRASS SNAKE!!
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2007, 08:46 »
Trouble is I am so scared that I can't possibly think of wanting not to be!! Does that make sense?
Strange thing is that if I get stung by a bee I have to have immediate steroid treatment, but am not in the least bothered by bees, am fascinated by them in fact.

Trillium

GRASS SNAKE!!
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2007, 20:13 »
You can be allergic to things without being afraid of them. I suspect the snake's form rather puts people off. You'll have to overcome your fears or you'll never go back out in the veg garden with confidence, which is such a shame for people wanting real veggies. Only things I fear are ones close to my size, and only because they can run faster!  :lol:

Fat Hen

GRASS SNAKE!!
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2007, 21:44 »
Quote from: "Scribbler"
Don't toads and frogs eat slugs...

I hope so I found (frog) one in my greenhouse a few weeks ago, so I put a dish with some water, a few rocks and a plant pot in it under my staging (well actually pallets laid on the ground) in the hope of encouraging it to stay.  It seems to have worked as I see it almost every day, usually sat in a plant pot sheltering beneath my chilli plants.

Axe victim wrote:  Bunch of wusses...grass snakes totally harmless. You are more danger to them than vice versa.  

Beautiful creatures...cherish them too!

I agree i'd love them in my garden, as long as they don't eat my frog :lol:  :lol:

xx
Oh a snake!

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post June 26, 2012, 10:56
by Alastair-I
xx
snake gourd

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post May 15, 2010, 21:11
by sunshineband
xx
Snake in the compost bin

Started by fatcat1955 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 21, 2010, 21:50
by Trikidiki
xx
Snake waste

Started by LilacSandy on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 29, 2011, 20:25
by prakash_mib

Page created in 0.361 seconds with 38 queries.