A bunny in the peas!

• 14 Replies

Annie

A bunny in the peas!
« on: July 14, 2007, 12:21 »
Blight,Aphid,whitefly rain and now a bunny!I was just taking stock in the brief bit of sun and thought I`d nibble on some peas as I went when a small rabbit shot out fron the pea bed.It`s now lurking under some pallets.I`ve never had a rabbit in the garden before so need some info.Do they eat stalks of things like broard beans/peas or are they just after the pods,I`m assuming my onions and potatoes are safe,or am I wrong and they eat everything.I just need to know if I need temporary defences until I can catch or dispatch it,or incase it`s not alone.... :cry:  :?

Rhuby

A bunny in the peas!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 17:40 »
Hi Annie this happened to me about 6 weeks ago, all was well for about 3 weeks then he found my veg. Luckily he only nibbled some lettuce and the tops off some carrots, however the same week we managed to catch him so not sure if he would have developed a taste for other veggies or not.
We caught him in a humane trap which i filled with straw left over from my strawberries (was actually bunny food) and covered the trap with some old turf, and there he was caught!!

It took about 4 weeks to catch him though, so best get started!!!
Organic

Annie

A bunny in the peas!
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 18:39 »
Thanks,off to the shops on monday!Fingers crossed on the carrots as we have raised beds and the mesh hoops over those,at risk next to the beans are beetroot,turnip and swede seedlings,do bunnies crawl under net as we could net those,the peas are too tall,just my luck if my first decent pea crop gets split50:5o between a wabbit and a small person!

purplebat

A bunny in the peas!
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 14:33 »
Quote from: "Annie"
do bunnies crawl under net

most definitely yes; we've netted our sprouts but there are loads of bunny scrapes around them, if they don't go under the net they'll tunnel under it, your best bet is fences
If Life gives you lemons, - Make Lemonade

Annie

A bunny in the peas!
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 18:12 »
****** :cry:
I can do nothing much `til tommorow,They can`t burrow into the beds as they are made of gravel board,I have netted another bed,The edges of the net are held down with lengths of tanilised wood onto the board tops and I have put bricks on to anchor them down.I`m hoping it`s so entranced by my peas that I can trap it before it moves it`s family in.
Tomorow we move pallets and plastic that it keeps hiding under,which means evicting the toads sadly and putting finer mesh over the gate and then a trap.
 All advice gratefilly accepted,is there any thing they don`t eat?

Spon

A bunny in the peas!
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 21:49 »
I notice that you live in Worcestershire, Annie. Do you know of any local 'hunting, shooting & fishing' types? If you can find a local with a springer spaniel that is trained to the gun, the dog will sort out your rabbit quite quickly.
(I know some of you are very anti blood sports, but I would remind you that dogs are natural carnivores - it is their NATURE.)

Annie

A bunny in the peas!
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 22:12 »
We have a collie,useless at rabbits.We used to have a cat that regularly brought home dead rabbits,and next doors cat hunts rabbits too.No other sightings today and no nibbling except the peas.
I don`t think shoting would be viable,the only way into the garden is over a6` wall,across a pond or under a gate and through a few feet of hedge,these both are next to the road and the numerous landrovers that block the roads when following the hunt may object to being shot at.....come to think of it...
Obviously having read up on rabbits and these posts I`m in denial and am hoping it`s gone away,never mind that it`s been a beautiful day and we`ve beenout there all day! :wink:

corndolly

• Experienced Member
A bunny in the peas!
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 22:13 »
As you are in Worcestershire and so are we , have you tried contacting local hawkers ! at Hurran's  ( Garden Centre) Hagley , there are birds of prey who are trained to catch rabbits and their trainers may be interested in practising over your patch ! let me know via pm if you would like contact number . We are hoping that they will come to us soon, but they did ask if there are likely to be small dogs wondering around , we have a public footpath that is adjacent to our property , most people keep their dogs big and small on leads though.

We have put a fence around our main veg patch and it seems to be holding the rabbits back, so far !!

Never known so many rabbits in 32 years on our part of Worcestershire.
Growing organic fruit and vegetables

Annie

A bunny in the peas!
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 22:27 »
thankyou ,but to date it is one little baby bunny,the neighbours paddock hedge has families of them but due to dogs and cats and the wall/pond acess they have never made it over to us.At present the bunny has escaped under pallets and plastic sheeting which i need to move as the only escape then is out of the garden.

shaun

A bunny in the peas!
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007, 22:30 »
set some snares annie the little ones are very tender  :wink:
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

Annie

A bunny in the peas!
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2007, 22:37 »
I know,  that from when the cats used to bring them in!I am now a bit alarmed to hear on another post that they eat onions since mine are showing no signs of finishing yet.

drdave

A bunny in the peas!
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2007, 12:16 »
I thought the humane metal cage traps would be useless, but I have caught 3 bunnies in them with carrots over the last 2 months. I take them for a mile ride in the car boot and let them go! I would be happy to eat them but my daughter would scream if we tried it!
Rabbits cant find their way home can they?!

I tried my neighbours pellet gun but it will only kill a rabbit point blank. Did knock feathers off the pigeons though.

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
A bunny in the peas!
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2007, 17:33 »
You would need to use a .22 air rifle if you want to shoot them.  Pistols just don't have the power to kill anything.

Annie

A bunny in the peas!
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2007, 21:02 »
Score so far;
               Humane trap=0

Bunny=1xturnip(razed ro ground)+Izzies pansy flowers+nibbled peas

David.

A bunny in the peas!
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2007, 21:25 »
If it has nothing to hide under (pallets?) it will probably dig a hole and hide, clear off or run around completely demented and be easily caught by a dog (I have caught them with my bare hands by cornering them).

I left a pile of concrete blocks next to our rabbit fencing and some stupid rabbit used them to jump in amongst the veg whilst I was away on a sea fishing trip, so I was happily filling the chiller boxes when I got an urgent phone call from my wife that a rabbit had got in and dug itself in. Just quickly chuck some bricks in after it and put a big slab on top I said and I shot it in the hole on my return the next day.

xx
F^%£%ing Bunny Rabbits!!!

Started by adri on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 20, 2009, 07:33
by arugula
xx
Bunny attacked our cabbages

Started by vaughny on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 02, 2008, 08:39
by rugbymad40
question
Hurst greenshaft peas Support required (me and the peas)

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 22, 2019, 17:46
by Twood
xx
sweet peas garden peas

Started by potherb on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 02, 2018, 17:00
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 38 queries.