F^%£%ing Bunny Rabbits!!!

• 10 Replies

adri

• Experienced Member
    • peak hives
F^%£%ing Bunny Rabbits!!!
« on: August 18, 2009, 22:35 »
Sods have eaten all my winter growing plans in a day!!!

Can't believe it.  Made so much effort and it's all gone down the pan!

Anyone got an air rifle?

Sob

Adri

Peak Hives

AlotArds

• Experienced Member
Re: F^%£%ing Bunny Rabbits!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 23:31 »
Sorry to hear about your rabbit problem - looks like you will have to invest in some frames/netting.

Must be some-one local who likes a bit of rabbit, let them know were they are - bang bang

Good luck

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 07:30 »
Hi Adri, I feel for you  :(. We have some quite elaborate chicken wire/rabbit netting around our veg plot, which was initally designed to keep the chickens out when we had the girls running around the garden! We have also run a half height chicken wire/rabbit netting right around the perimeter fence, mainly intended to keep the neighbouring lambs' heads out of the garden. Nonetheless, those pesky bunnies do still get in occassionally and you really just have to be vigilant as much of the time as possible, which I understand isn't always possible if you are out at work or not at your allotment.

Good luck with your battle..
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

poppie

• Experienced Member
  • my little princess
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 08:19 »
hi adri,sorry to hear about you pesky problem,if your serious about an air rifle,airgunBBs has some good priced second hand,rifles and pistols
its nice to be nice

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 08:23 »
very annoying.  We ahve lots of rabbits around here so we fenced off our allotment and dug in the wire too.  The are a lot of rabbits this yr with myxomatosis, hopefully they wont be as abundant next yr.

Music self played is pleasure self made
Samantha :)

Susan K

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 08:38 »
how very frustrating, we dont have a rabit problem where we live, but my chickens got in one day at the start and reaked havock in a few hours so I know how your feeling but at least at the start of the season I had time to replace what they ate.

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 09:29 »
if your serious about an air rifle,airgunBBs has some good priced second hand,rifles and pistols

Unfortunately the authorites are getting nervous about things like airguns. Alternatives are: we use a catapult with gravel as the weapon, it frightens them. Rabbit snares are available, place them where the rabbits are coming in.

With any of these methods its very important to remember not to leave an animal injured! Scare it or finish it off.

Babyshoes

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 16:33 »
Fortunately we don't seem to have a problem with bunnies, however I could supply you with a steady supply of ferret 'litter' to scare them off if you are near Hertfordshire- nothing smells quite like ferret pee!  :ohmy: The disadvantage of course, is that your plot would smell like ferret pee, which would not only scare the rabbits off... :tongue2:

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 16:38 »
I could supply you with a steady supply of ferret 'litter' to scare them off if you are near Hertfordshire- nothing smells quite like ferret pee!  :ohmy: The disadvantage of course, is that your plot would smell like ferret pee, which would not only scare the rabbits off... :tongue2:

OT :lol: I'm with you there Babyshoes, did the ferret bit with the huntin', shootin', fishin' bit when we were in Hertfordshire  :D. Happy days, but it was time for a change..

8doubles

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 16:48 »
if your serious about an air rifle,airgunBBs has some good priced second hand,rifles and pistols

Unfortunately the authorites are getting nervous about things like airguns. Alternatives are: we use a catapult with gravel as the weapon, it frightens them. Rabbit snares are available, place them where the rabbits are coming in.

With any of these methods its very important to remember not to leave an animal injured! Scare it or finish it off.
The trouble with snares is that they are non-selective and you are just as likely to end up with a cat in there, and it is not always a fast kill. If you need to trap a fenn trap in a tunnel or a live-catch trap baited with carrots is a better option.

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 07:33 »

The trouble with snares is that they are non-selective and you are just as likely to end up with a cat in there, and it is not always a fast kill. If you need to trap a fenn trap in a tunnel or a live-catch trap baited with carrots is a better option.

:wub: Didn't mean to offend any cat people in referring to snares  :wub: but if you use a Fenn or live catch trap and you potentially don't know what you are doing as you have never done this sort of thing before,  what do you do with any culprits caught? Dump them on the neighbours?  :lol:

xx
A bunny in the peas!

Started by Annie on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 17, 2007, 21:25
by David.
xx
Bunny attacked our cabbages

Started by vaughny on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 02, 2008, 08:39
by rugbymad40
xx
rabbits can you help

Started by willnbirdie on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 03, 2012, 07:43
by arugula
xx
Rabbits

Started by strider84 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 28, 2013, 06:58
by Springlands

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 28 queries.