Any thoughts on how deep are asparagus roots??

• 7 Replies

Hampshire Hog

Any thoughts on how deep are asparagus roots??
« on: November 27, 2023, 20:33 »
Our allotments have now been given notice of having to move next year for housing!
Further to my message last year I’m still thinking of moving my mature asparagus bed.
I know it’s not ideal but I think it may work. The question I’m wondering is how deep will the roots be after 10 years?? Clearly this will impact how I approach moving the plants. Any advice appreciated. Thanks HH
Keep digging

Goosegirl

Re: Any thoughts on how deep are asparagus roots??
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2023, 08:51 »
I'm guessing they'll be about 8" deep but see what others say.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Nobbie

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2023, 12:23 »
From experience, I’d say a good couple of feet. I did move a three year old bed once and the roots just went on forever so you have to cut them off. They took years to come to anything afterwards and I wouldn’t bother again given the effort involved moving them, I’d just get new plants if I was in a rush, otherwise sow seeds.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2023, 09:40 »
Sounds like I will have fun when I need to move my asparagus!
I’m loathe to leave them all though.
Perhaps I will create a bed at home and fill half with transplants and the other half with new crowns. I’m conscious that as I’m getting older I would actually like to be around to harvest the asparagus at home. It will be a waste at the allotment as the plants will be under foundations.

Nobbie

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2023, 10:41 »
When I moved mine, I tried to keep lots of soil on the roots which made the job very heavy especial on clay and limited the length of root I could take :(. If you are on a lighter soil it might be possible to lift more root without taking the soil with it and then carefully spread out the roots at the new location. It will still be a large job with lots of digging though.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2023, 11:38 »
Thanks for your advice Nobbie 
Think I will see how little soil I can take whilst maximising the amount of root.
I’m on clay too so a large root ball would clearly be unmanageable.
I have read online about some success moving asparagus but recognise that the plants will sulk for a while !!

snowdrops

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2023, 14:44 »
I’d consider the time of year the supplier deliver them & transplant them then, they must wash the soil of at least shake well as they arrive without any attached, but then you need to wait the 3 years before harvesting…but there’s will be ‘new’. How old are your plants as the lifespan is 20-25 years, if they’re getting on for that I’d start a new bed with new plants, but in the meantime I’d dig up what you can of these ‘old’ ones, transplant, allow them next year to re root themselves and start harvesting 2025 with a view to letting them exhaust themselves the following year or one after….by which time your newly purchased ones will be in full production.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Learnerlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2023, 10:19 »
Hi,
I tried transplanting mature plants 3 years ago and the roots were huge  24 x 18 inches and that still left quite a bit of root. It was a difficult job and root balls very heavy. Since transplanting I fed, weeded and left them without cutting to establish but still no spears worth cutting last year so have dug them out and ordered new plants for next year....
As I didn't plant them I don't know how old they were so may have been past their best but they were giving a reasonable crop at time of transplanting

xx
How deep do mint roots go?

Started by missycat on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post January 31, 2012, 20:30
by gobs
xx
Asparagus Plants - How Deep?

Started by dmhain on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 26, 2009, 09:38
by sunshineband
clip
Roots roots roots - reviving my plot

Started by BuddingGrower on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post November 24, 2013, 22:57
by compostqueen
xx
How deep is too deep for potatoes?

Started by herbiegrowsbananas on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post May 20, 2010, 18:26
by peapod

Page created in 0.355 seconds with 44 queries.