soup experiments

• 20 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
soup experiments
« on: February 05, 2012, 13:40 »
I fancied soup but was getting a bit fed up with the usual old favourites..so went looking to see what I had to hand.

Frozen fried courgettes, mmm  potatoes and chopped onions, went into a pan with a little water til cooked. Liquidised and thinned with a little milk, salt and pepper added of course, a tea spoon of curry powder (not so much that it was curry flavoured) small pinch of chilli.....it wasn't quite right  ............ so I added - a small squirt of tomato ketchup  :D Ta Da!

A nice spicy soup which I will be making again  :lol:

Have you had soup success with unusual combinations?

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: soup experiments
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 14:11 »
The ketchup twist sounds interesting mum. :D I can't think of any particularly unusual combinations I've made, but I regularly throw any veg in together to make a soup, even the odd combination (to me) of celery and peppers work together in a tomato based soup. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 16:05 »
I'm always making soup, which is a product of having an allotment full of veg much of the time and having an aversion to buying things if I can raid the pantry

A good one I came up with was celeriac, smoked bacon and mushroom, with a potato for texture. I had those big, tasty mushrooms so used those but it did give it a funny colour so I added a blob of cream to lighten it.  Chopped fresh flat leaf parsley on top

I made squash soup with tarragon (dried) which was a change from the usual nutmeg

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 16:21 »
One of my favourite combinations is to make a lentil soup in the usual way (which can be frozen as a basic soup in portions), but then to ring the changes I add a dollop of madras curry paste, a dollop of minced ginger (from a jar is fine), and some chopped chillies if you like a good kick to it (if you prefer it milder, just add cumin powder rather than the madras curry paste and leave out the chilli).  I then add a goodly portion of chopped red or yellow peppers and just heat through till bubbling - the crunchy peppers give it a lovely texture against the soft lentils, and they give it a sweetness too.

As for colour, like Compost Queen I find home-made soups can often look a little 'strange', but an addition of tomato puree seems to enrich the look of things and doesn't alter the flavour much.  Chopped fresh green herbs also improve things if the soup looks a bit murky and muddy coloured!

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 16:24 »
A recipe my sister sent me of spinach, pasta & chickpeas is a favourite of mine & also courgette & cream cheese that freezers so well & you can use up those over big courgettes
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 16:56 »
Have made several soups today, the usual minestrone, leek & potato, spicy lentil and will make sweet potato, chilli & coconut later from the left over mashed sweet potato.
I sometimes add lemon to lentil soup instead of tomato and a dollop of greek yogurt with thyme.

madcat

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 17:40 »
I like making noodle soups.  A good stock (from a ham bone or chicken or duck carcass), chilled, fat taken off it and then heated through.  Add chopped veg, cook to al dente, add noodles (bought in big packs of 10 from the chinese soupermarket  ::) so they don't cost the earth) broken to size liked, any scraps of cold meat if you have them and just cook for further 3 mins.  Hot, filling and fast.

Last one was a bacon stock, with shredded savoy cabbage and cubed orange carrots, noodles broken fairly short .... looked fabulous and hit the spot!  Tomorrow night will be chicken stock with the leftover scraps of chicken saved from the carcass before it went into the slow cooker, noodles, leek tops and ...   hmmm.  Sweetcorn perhaps??   :unsure:
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Auntiemogs

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 19:04 »
Just about to try putting something together with some butter beans and pancetta, wish me luck!  ::)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 19:33 »
good luck and report back  :D

compostqueen

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 19:49 »
Pancetta!  Butter beans!  You can't go wrong. Slurp  :D

I make a noodle soup with onion, garlic, creamed sweetcorn, soy sauce, spring onions, chilli, ginger, squeeze of lemon and a beaten egg dropped in by degrees.  You can put in fat prawns or chicken.  Sometimes I'm too lazy to do the egg but it doesn't matter  :)

Auntiemogs

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 19:52 »
Pancetta!  Butter beans!  You can't go wrong. Slurp  :D

I make a noodle soup with onion, garlic, creamed sweetcorn, soy sauce, spring onions, chilli, ginger, squeeze of lemon and a beaten egg dropped in by degrees.  You can put in fat prawns or chicken.  Sometimes I'm too lazy to do the egg but it doesn't matter  :)
Ooh, that sounds lovely CQ. I've never tried creamed sweetcorn, think it's about time I did!  :tongue2: Bet that would be nice with a bit of lemongrass and chilli too... :)

compostqueen

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 19:57 »
It is lovely but our T*sco seems to have stopped stocking it. I still have one tin left in the pantry

Auntiemogs

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2012, 20:09 »
It is lovely but our T*sco seems to have stopped stocking it. I still have one tin left in the pantry
Mmm...they can be a bit variable due to demand. Mine only started stocking arborio rice last year so we must be going up in the world... :lol:

stentman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2012, 21:33 »
I make soup in bulk and freeze it off, occasionally to give my soup a bit of a lift I have used a whole jar of the hot chilli dip. The sort of thing you dip your pringles in. In an 8 serving pan of veg soup it doesn't make things to hot but adds a bit of pep.
Stents keeping things open 24/7

If one way be better than another, that you can be sure is natures way. Aristotle 384BC - 322BC

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2012, 21:43 »
I'm roasting a tray of veg, parsnips, sweet potato, red onion, potato, carrots, garlic head, chopped chorizo, olive oil and thyme. Going to make it into soup tomorrow but havn't tried it before with roasted veg like this.  Hopefully a good way to use up all the veg that's in need of attention.

Some of my best recipes are happy accidents. :)
Cheese makes everything better.

xx
Serious soup...

Started by Growster... on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post October 30, 2016, 16:06
by Growster...
xx
soup

Started by jamima on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

10 Replies
Last post July 30, 2010, 21:06
by kevinp
xx
Soup maker

Started by LilacSandy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

35 Replies
Last post October 22, 2012, 21:52
by Auntiemogs
xx
freezing soup

Started by LILLILEAF on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post September 18, 2016, 17:17
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 39 queries.