i have rats in my run

• 36 Replies

karlooben

i have rats in my run
« on: December 05, 2008, 16:12 »
some of you may know that i have taken down my old hen house shed , well today i got someone to lift up the base as i wont do it knowing there will be big spiders under it  but instead there was a pretty large rat. now i dont mind rats at all and thankfully the guy who was with me  has the next plot dont mind them ethier .
i think i know how it got in as there are no burrow holes around the perimeter of my run { theres a slight gap on main door think it got in that way}. what is the best thing to do, my farmer freind said i can get a live trap an catch them then kill them but to me that seems pointless when theres thousand being born all the time { would be a never ending job} i cant use poison because of the girls but then he did say that in one way there are good as they clean up all the  food thats been left laying around . but some ppl on he site mite get funny if they found out although we are on a allotment site surrounded by common land ditches and all other perfect rat habitat.

p.s i cant kill anything unless it has 8 eight an scares me senseless but thats if they aint that big

:lol:  :lol:
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Spadefighter

i have rats in my run
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 16:42 »
I disturbed one earlier and missed by a whisker with a garden fork! Having spoken to a pest controller friend I am advised that the best way to control the rat population near chickens is to get a bait box and solid block type bait. I share your live and let live philosophy but I make an exception for rats!

Vember

i have rats in my run
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 18:05 »
I've got a "few" around at the moment I trap them, get about 2 a week.
Living where I do I doubt I'll ever get totally free but I am satisfied with keeping on top of them :D
My biggest problem with them is when they try to get in the feed shed :(
I have twilweld netting round the bottom of all my shed's but can't get to the back of the feed shed, so that's where the snap traps go :D

Sarah :)

Jellyhead

i have rats in my run
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 18:59 »
Rats killed my lovely Agnes and a couple of my other chooks :cry: will never forget what devastation they caused my girls :cry:  :cry: so I put poison down the holes and then cover them so the girls cant eat it :(  I dont like killing anything either but I'm afraid when its either them or my girls then there is no question :(
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

Old Whiskers

i have rats in my run
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 19:05 »
I trap 'em alive in mink traps. I used to shoot 'em then, but now I just throw the trap in the boot, drive to a little wood I have down by the river and let 'em go.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
i have rats in my run
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 20:33 »
Penny was rat hunting yesterday near the small shed the pecked turkeys are in.  then she went round to the large ark where Rocky the Rooster lives, and we can see the rat runs going under the sheds, then she was sniffing around the small ark where Rosie and Mary live.

Brian said let's move the small ark onto fresh grass, and as we picked it up, Penny shot underneath and came out with a big rat that she proceeded to chuck around until it was defo dead!

Jellyhead

i have rats in my run
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 20:36 »
well done Penny. Fab name by the way :wink: its my surname

Fen

• Experienced Member
  • Location: Five feet above sea level, between Ely and Cambridge
i have rats in my run
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 21:47 »
Rats need food and daily access to a water supply, if they are denied either they will move away. They also prefer to live under structures or buildings. Any food store or chicken shed on the ground is ideal for them.
So:- Store your food in tin or plastic bins and don't spill any on the floor.
If possible put your food store and chicken house or concrete blocks (breeze blocks) so that they are about 10in above ground level, too bigger gap for a rat to live underneath.
Don't feed on the ground. Suspend your feeders about 15 inches above  the ground so that the hens can see what they are pecking but the rats can't reach up to it.
I use the plastic feeders with partitions which stop the hens flicking out heaps of grain or pellets onto the ground which the rats clear up over night.(saves a lot of feed as well)
If all else fails get some rat poison in 10cm x 10cm bags and put them in the centre of a 2m long piece of plastic drain pipe. Lay this horizontally  where the rats are acive. They can't resist a tunnel and they will pick up the bags and take them down to their burrows.

monarch

i have rats in my run
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 22:10 »
Rats come for the food you can feed your hens by spring feeders as used by pheasant rearers they fit to the bottom of a bucket with lid..this can be suspended by a cord or splayed legs can be fitted to allow hens to peck the spring releasing food..but kept high enough to repel rats..I use these and now have 60 hens and ducks and NO RATS...they go where they can be fed easily...if you want info on the springs pm me and I will forward suppliers details.  They are about £4.00 each
If you can't catch it grow it!!

poultrygeist

i have rats in my run
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 22:51 »
Excellent advice, put well Fen and Monarch. :)

I've seen Penny with a lump of wood. Wouldn't want to be a rat :shock:

We've been lucky so far but are as careful as we can be with spillages and storage.

Rob 8)

karlooben

i have rats in my run
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2008, 00:01 »
i dont have much money at the mo to buy these feeders but i will have towards the end of the month so at the mo i am using china dog bowls and giant seed watering trays. thanks for the advice will c what i can change over the weekend ,if i higher the house they are now in i would have to cut the shed down in height as it would go rite though the roof run.thats were i will need to call on man power  :lol:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
i have rats in my run
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2008, 00:04 »
Our feed is in the 20 and 25 kgs bags, but we haven't got a hopper big enough for them all, and the rats and mice chew through the bags. Little horrors!  There was a hole in the corner of the turkey shed when it was Brian's workshop. I said to him the other day I thought you'd filled that hole in.  I did he said, with plaster!

The rats had eaten all the plaster away!!!!! :)  :)

You're right about Penny Rob!  By the time she had finished the rat didn't have much backbone left.  She must have thought it ws that bit of wood!!! lol

Bodger

i have rats in my run
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2008, 07:26 »
For the reasons stated, the poison scatter bags are not as good an idea as they sound. Please read this.

I posted this on the forum when I arrived. I thinks its worth having a look at.  

Well I’m only really qualified to talk on one subject and as I would like to contribute to this new forum , my chosen topic as a one time professional pest controller, has got to be that of vermin.

In my work I use a veritable arsenal of rodenticide, pesticide, gas and traps against the constant menace of a seemingly ever growing throng of pests.

We as chicken keepers are in the frontline when it comes to the number one pest species. The Rat! We owe it to our neighbours, families and to our birds to wage a 365 days of the year all out war against the rat. I shouldn’t have to tell you of the dangers they pose but if you’d seen some of the sights that I’ve beheld, then you would understand why I say that even one rat on your place is unacceptable.

Ugh! Rats! I hate them.

The number one tool against rat has got to be poison. A good dog or a trap will catch rats but it will never get them all. The right poison put down in the right way often will.

When I turn out to an infestation I split the job into two definite halves. The first is to get rid of the rats and then just as importantly to try and prevent re-infestation .

Rats need two things to survive – that’s food and harbourage. If you can deny one or both of them, then you are on to a winner.

Most of the measures which need to be taken are just sheer common sense but if you are anything like me then you are an expert at putting off the blatantly obvious.

Firstly, do get yourself secure food bins with tight fitting lids. Don’t leave food in paper sacks and expect rats and mice to find the paper impenetrable.

Do try to feed your birds the right amount of food so that they clean up pretty quickly. Don’t leave great amounts at the bottom of runs especially after the birds have gone to roost.

Now onto harbourage. Harbourage is pest control jargon for somewhere to live. Unless you are fortunate enough to have tailor-made accommodation, the chances are that your bird houses will have inherent design faults that will encourage rats to stay for bed and breakfast with you. However if you keep your place tidy then you are on the right track.
By tidy, I mean get the scrap man in to remove that rusting pile of old junk and put a match to that pile of old wood or rubbish and generally get rid of that rat hotel!

Two things that I would suggest that you try and do whenever possible is to raise your existing sheds up off the floor and try to get 18 -24 inches clearance so that you can see if you have got unwanted visitors beneath your buildings.

Secondly, you can save all the tin sheet you can get and get it nailed flush to the bottom of all your doors and even consider using it to clad vulnerable areas

Now down to poison. The number one rule with poison is don’t skimp. Being ‘tight’ with your poison could mean that the rats get a sub-lethal dose and encourage resistance or bait shyness.

Warfarin has been on the market for 30-40 years and is known as a first generation anti-coagulant. You can still get it but it really has come to the end of its shelf life. With Warfarin you have to get the rats to eat an amount of poison over a period of time. Warfarin is what is known as a multi dose poison.

In the past ten years we have had the advent of a number of so called second generation anti-coagulants. They still use the same methodology to kill the rats but are single-dose poisons. The rats have to consume a lot less of the poison and only have to have one feed on the bait to get a good kill rate.

Down to practicalities. You need to keep poison down in the form of bait stations all year round and in that way you’ll never get a build up of vermin.

Bait stations can take the form of lengths of plastic or clay pipes placed in strategic positions. If you have the pipes about 3 foot long you can spoon the bait into the middle of it so that only rats can get at it.

Rat poison is now also sold in the form of wax blocks. These are excellent, if a bit expensive. They are weather resistant and can be nailed to the sides of sheds on rat runs and are less likely to attract the chickens.

One thing that I would advise against is the use of scatter bags. Although they might appear handy they aren’t as good as they are cracked up to be. Rat colonies have a definite hierarchy and the dominant rats often carry the bags away to keep them from their lesser brethren, hide them and forget where they put them so the poison is lost and therefore wasted.

Yeah! When it comes to pests I’m a mine of information and could literally go on and on, and if any of you members need advice on rodents or insects etc, then just PM me !

karlooben

i have rats in my run
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2008, 16:09 »
i would need to be extemly carefull if i was to use any tpyes of poison as i am on the allotment site where loads of cats roam anywhere they want and also lots of kids go over there and they all love going round the chickens . i think my best bet is to try an keep feeding down to a minium so theres no scraps left on the floor ,if i hardly feed them tomorw then hopfully they will have a good clean up for me .
the food in the house is now up in guttering on one wall where it will stay pretty tidy as for lefting the house of the ground i really dont know if i can do that but i was thinking of putting a layer of slabs under it .

naughty nick

• Wilbarston Allotments
i have rats in my run
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2008, 17:14 »
we have something ready on stand by called     EradiBait it is recommended by the Barn Owl Trust   www.ilexorganics.com      its ideal for use in areas where there is a risk of secondary poisoning...... as it is not an anticoagulant, might be good   not had to try it yet thank God :!:

xx
rats .rats and more blooming rats

Started by muntjac on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post March 06, 2007, 11:40
by muntjac
xx
Rats

Started by CattinJ on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 23, 2010, 18:44
by Roughlee Handled
xx
Rats. I think I have Rats.

Started by Roughlee Handled on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post June 25, 2009, 21:31
by Rubellite
xx
Rats!

Started by nerdle on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 25, 2021, 10:21
by nerdle

Page created in 0.289 seconds with 33 queries.