weather

• 13 Replies

alancas

• Experienced Member
weather
« on: July 13, 2012, 17:06 »
greetings to  all,with all the no shows as regards veggies this year can anyone say if pollytunnels have fared any better or does low temperature have a say in things?

Amilo

• Experienced Member
Re: weather
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 09:38 »
Well not my poly tunnel as it blew down last year but certainly the 8X6 greenhouse  has produced more than the whole veg plot as so far it has produced nothing

In the green house I have harvested Carrots, Onions, Garlic which are identical to what has been planted out on the plot and so far the plot had produced nothing.

After I harvested the green house I planted French beens, spinach and tomatoes and they have overtaken everything on the plot already.

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 13:01 »
Cool temps affect many crops. Carrots, beans, corn and beets prefer warmer soil when sown and the greenhouse is a good start for them. The allium family (onions, garlic) do like some water but they don't like to drown, so again, a greenhouse/polytunnel is good for them if you have these problems.

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 16:23 »
No-one could have predicted the growing weather this year, and the effect it has had on all of us. I think next year, we should sow stuff in the greenhouse or polytunnel in early spring and, again, in late summer so as to make the most of our indoor space and to combat any bad weather conditions. If the weather is good, then we have more produce! :lol:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 19:16 »
Goosey's right; I'm using cloches much more this year - even now, while plants which struggle with the little sun they're getting, but need a bit of a boost!

In fact, I could do with crawling under a cloche myself some days...;0)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 19:18 »
I sit in the greenhouse and reada book sometimes, at least I get a bit of daylight that way, even if the sun isn't out  ::)

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 19:21 »
I sit in the greenhouse and reada book sometimes, at least I get a bit of daylight that way, even if the sun isn't out  ::)
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Mums...;0)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 23:06 »
Growster, it's not nice to mock the afflicted   :tongue2:  :D

alancas

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 07:45 »
i wonder if it will grow my hair back if i sit in the greenhouse :)

Grubbypaws

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 21:45 »
My salad leaves grew enormous in the poly whereas the plants outside went from seedling to seed without producing anything. The basil hasn't done well though and the peppers are hopeless. The salad leaves where an afterthought put in before the peppers were ready to go out.

I am a convert but will choose what I plant more wisely next year.

I am also going to try growing various things through  the winter.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 22:52 »
Yes, low temperature does have a say, but yes, my polytunnel has fared a lot better than outside crops. It's my first full year with a tunnel and it's been fantastic. I've had early mange tout, early new spuds, perfect lettuce and radish, chard, kohl rabi, beetroot and courgettes cropping away for weeks or months in there. And I've used it to start off or grow on loads of seeds and seedlings that would never have survived outside.

I don't think the overnight temps are notably better in a tunnel than outside, but the plants are not being constantly battered by cold winds and heavy rain, and that makes a big difference. And in the daytime the temps in there are a lot warmer than outside.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 08:56 »
I have a max/min thermometer and the tunnel really doesnt help much for night tome temperatures.

davesellars

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 11:00 »
My best purchase this year has to be the polytunnel.  Almost everything in the PT is going great even though I haven't got round to putting the doors on it yet.
French beans plants sown 3 or 4 weeks ago lare strong and just starting to flower.   Cucumber has about 7 cucumbers on it.
Chili and peppers also producing a reasonably amount despite lack of sunshine.
Mixed salad - grown quickly and best of all is clean with no damage from pests.
Tomatoes have started to take over the PT though...  :tongue2:
Basil has just started to grow properly (frustratingly slow to start but my fault for sowing so late in the season.)

I realise now I should have bought a larger polytunnel especially with the dodgy English weather!

Amilo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 12:10 »
I have a max/min thermometer and the tunnel really doesnt help much for night tome temperatures.

I think it is the soil temps that count more than the air temp when looking for germination. then after germination I think its light levels that count as much as air temp.

xx
The Weather.....

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 23, 2013, 22:49
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Weather

Started by BostonInbred on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 20, 2010, 20:08
by Missy1970
xx
weather

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post May 30, 2006, 20:27
by Debz and Jon
xx
Weather changes

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 23, 2019, 10:06
by Mr Dog

Page created in 0.508 seconds with 40 queries.