A day of thought

• 6 Replies

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
A day of thought
« on: December 30, 2017, 10:17 »
Today is the 4th anniversary of me old mans passing away and of course you remember all the good and bad times with a smile and tear.
I feel I was lucky as he taught me many life skills whick kids nowadays have  no idea! By the age of ten I knew how clean and fillet fish that we had caught either by rod or nightline on the beach,he taught me how to snare hares in the fields around us then how to prepare them for eating. My passion for the allotment came from my parents the whole hunter/ gather came because they did not command good salaries back in the 70s, dad had 2 jobs, mum had 3 so we caught and grew a lot of our own food! How times have changed.
Food for thought!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 10:19 by Aidy »
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Goosegirl

Re: A day of thought
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 12:47 »
What wonderful memories and life-skills he gave you and I hope you can pass these valuable lessons on to others who will appreciate all the knowledge and fatherly care he gave you. You are truly a lucky man!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 14:40 »
Ahh, lovely memories to have Aidy. We’ve just had hubby’s nephew over this morning with his 2 children, I’ve not seen them for a long time & don’t really know them well. Just before they left(short visit of hours🙄) the little girl(6rs) said “actually my mummy never plays with me,or my daddy” how sad is that. I was so pleased I put in a few hours of my time chatting to them(well watching what she was up to,the lad was fine) colouring with them, making a paper star. Trouble is I think they’ll want to come back. Our son has said nephew(his cousin)  just turns up & leaves the children to get on with it then of course they get into mischief.
Back to your post Aidy, although I never gardened with my dad I always feel he’s at the plot with me either raising his eyebrows or saying humph I’d have never thought of that or aye lass what yer doing it like that for.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 18:27 »
Food for thought indeed Aidy. Your post brought back memories of fishing with my Dad on Boxing Day in the freezing cold, catching flounders. Thanks to him I can despatch a fish we will keep to eat, skin a rabbit too, know the names and habits of most wild birds I'll be likely to come across round here and be very unlikely to poison myself eating wild-grown leaves or berries.

We owe our parents so much, and not always the  most obvious either

I hope our respective Dads look down from time to time and smile, as we look up and smile in gratitude to them :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Elaine G

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 22:20 »
My dad passed away 25 years ago. He also had 3 jobs and very little time to spare with me or my sister. But something must have rubbed off as we both like the outdoors and to grow things.

I often find myself in the greenhouse asking 'Dad, what would you do with these?'  :lol:

Elaine
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 22:40 »
It's just 2 years since we lost my Dad, and it's still too hard to think about him much.

But a friend posted a picture earlier today on Faceb**k of a Deltic locomotive at York Station, and I gave a big smile and thought of him, taking down engine numbers, and going round the fabulous railway museum.  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 09:33 »
It's just 2 years since we lost my Dad, and it's still too hard to think about him much.

But a friend posted a picture earlier today on Faceb**k of a Deltic locomotive at York Station, and I gave a big smile and thought of him, taking down engine numbers, and going round the fabulous railway museum.  :D

Even after ten years, I still have a tear in my eye sometimes when I go somewhere or do something I would love to have been able to share with my Dad. It is a sadness, but also an overwhelming feeling of the love we shared, and usually ends in a smile

xx
I’m older than l thought !

Started by comfreykid on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post January 14, 2022, 16:52
by Christine
xx
Pause for thought...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post August 02, 2022, 11:48
by mrs bouquet
xx
I thought Weather in the SE this Summer

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post September 05, 2021, 06:42
by Growster...
clip
Just a nice thought amid all the gloom

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post March 20, 2020, 17:43
by Growster...

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 46 queries.