sweet william

• 5 Replies

rowlandwells

sweet william
« on: March 06, 2019, 09:14 »
I was bit late setting my sweet William seed having a spell in hospital so I set the seed in pots to overwinter in the greenhouse they have grown quite well in the pots both dwarf and cutting varieties

I'm moving them outside in the cold frame as I need the space in the greenhouses for spring planting so would it be better to leave them in the pots until the soil warms up before planting out as the ground is still a tad cold and the weather forecast is saying its going to get colder so I'm undecided what would be the best thing to do  :unsure:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: sweet william
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 09:18 »
If they look happy enough in the pots,  I'd leave them there.
Give them a dilute feed to keep them going, 'cos the pots have probably run out of goodness by now.

rowlandwells

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 13:41 »
 they look as though there started to re-grow i think that's a good idea of yours MUM to give them a feed although they look quite healthy in the pots what about re-planting though how long should i keep them in the cold frame 'cos I want to plant them out in my borders and some will be for cut flowers  if i remember rite don't they flower around June?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 15:39 »
They are hardy, so it's just a question of hardening them off, 'til they're used to life outside the greenhouse.
Give them a week in the cold frame, and then open it a bit, then a bit more, finally stand in a sheltered place for a while - then you should be able to plant them out, I'd aim for the beginning of April ;)

mrs bouquet

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 16:02 »
I have listened to that very sound advice, the weather is still so unpredictable.  They are one of my favourite flowers, but I have never been successful with mine :(  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 08:14 »
yes that sounds like a good idea to harden them of Mum so that's what Il do and if this method of growing sweet William  in pots in the greenhouse or tunnel works then Il adopt this method

I've always grew the sweet William seed in rows in the allotment and planted out the plants when there big enough grew them for cutting because they I believe are a good cheep and cheerful cut flower to grow

anyway don't give up on your sweet William Mrs B and thanks MUM for that advise will keep you informed on this topic RW

xx
sweet william

Started by shaun on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post October 14, 2007, 18:34
by gobs
xx
Sweet William

Started by Elaine G on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post August 16, 2011, 11:15
by Elaine G
xx
SWEET WILLIAM

Started by rowlandwells on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post September 04, 2018, 14:27
by rowlandwells
xx
sweet william and walflowers

Started by rowlandwells on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post June 14, 2019, 09:19
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 45 queries.