Squash

• 13 Replies

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
Squash
« on: June 18, 2009, 11:02 »
I've germinated some squash and have ended up with lots of plants (8 butternut and 4 spaghetti)

However...I don't seem to have a lot of room!? I've popped 3 along the fence, 3 foot apart, with the intention of training them up the fence and supporting the fruits. I've also put 2 either end of my sweetcorn bed with the intention of trailing between the sweetcorn 2 from one side, 2 from the other and both meeting and mingling in the middle - does this sound ok? (2 of the 3 lady planting idea)

Never grown them before (but seeing as it's my 1st year on my 1st lotty I can say that about everything!! lol!!)

Any ideas what to do with the others? Could they trail between fruit trees? or roses?

Thanks

Mick

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Re: Squash
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 11:33 »
No idea on the sceti plant but the one year I grew Butternut was one of those never again jobs, it lay idle for months then went rampant and took over my plot, it sent runners off all over, verticle is a good way but they do need room, good luck.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 11:56 »
They can trail anywhere, but personally, I'd keep the main stem in the open.

A lot of folk plant these things without really knowing how much room they take up. I've just planted 8 & devoted 40 sq m to them.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

karooba007

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 12:21 »
damn I one of those. i been working on 1 sq m for one plant  :nowink:. emmm well do better next time  :). looks like I have some plants to be giving away.

Glyn

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 12:31 »
Since we are not growing much this year on the allotment as we where consertrating on getting the beds made and building a poly tunnel and shed, my wife had the idea of letting her beavers scout group plant some punkins in a pot and take them home until they had grown abit. Then they would come to the allotment and plant them and they could have the punkins that where grown. Sounds a nice idea until you have 20 punkin plants growing in your allotment. So i'm planning on using tent pegs to tral them around the beds.

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 13:18 »
A lot of folk plant these things without really knowing how much room they take up

That'll be me then!!  :blush:

I just got them because I like butternut squash. So how much room would you say 1 plant takes up? Can I train them, by 'pruning', to go around beds, between trees etc? So planting them haphazardly and 'filling in' gaps around the plot?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 13:28 »
Squash can easily run 6 feet and more in any direction. (Call it 2 meters shall we?  ;) )

Even it they were stopped at a meter all round from the stem, that's 4 sq meters each plant can take up. At 2 meters all round from the stem, that's 16 sq meteres! (Working in squares, not circle here to make it easier!)

I'm also trying a variety called "Harrier" this year, which are a bush variety and don't need so much space.

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/seeds1/product/76/1.html

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 15:39 »
I was just going to ask which butternut was being grown, in case it was the bush variety! That's what i am growing (plus 2 others ::))
Another way to grow them is to keep them growing round themselves in a circle and pegging them down with wire pegs. This keeps them tidy and a bit more under control as well.

Greengirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 16:39 »
If you grow them in acircle, make sure you mark the root area with a cane so you can see where to put any water.

mad mark

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 16:44 »
I planted the free ones that came with the BBC Dig in stuff in black potato bags. What chance of survival do you think, there is only one squash per bag? Though I have got two courgettes in one, may have to move one out into another bag. Not much of a garden just a lot of tarmac......covered in pots and bags. Looking for wood to make some raised beds?????? 8)
Mad Mark

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 16:46 »
If you grow them in acircle, make sure you mark the root area with a cane so you can see where to put any water.

That would be in the middle of the circle, wouldn't it :lol:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 19:30 »
I used stakes to 'persuade' my squash last year which direction to grow in, they went round the edge of the bed containing courgettes and sweetcorn, it worked ok
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Greengirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 17:00 »
You'd be hard pressed to find the exact middle of the circle when the leaves have grown over, but I get your point mumofstig.

rickman

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2009, 17:07 »
I read somewhere that you should stop each plant once it develops four fruits, t then concentrates on feeding and developing the fruits as opposed to invading the plot.
I discovered this after my 4 plants invaded last year. ::)
May be worth a try if growing them in limited space....
Andy

clip
Butternut Squash & Kabocha Squash - when are they ready?

Started by Floody on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 17, 2014, 11:42
by Totty
xx
sorry....squash again

Started by janet12000 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 30, 2009, 22:20
by devondave
xx
Squash

Started by CaroM on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 18, 2009, 14:14
by jolly jen
xx
Squash

Started by Candide on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 22, 2022, 11:40
by Snow

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 31 queries.