Organic blood & bone meal amounts??

• 8 Replies

infowarrior

• Experienced Member
« on: June 05, 2007, 20:41 »
I've bought a box of blood and bone meal fert today as want a good all round organic fertilizer.  I wanted to be able to mix it with water then administer it as a tea so it goes straight to the roots but noticed on the label it says "to be spread on over top of the soil and watered in." Cant remember exactly cause its not in front of me, but it says something like 70 grams per square metre. I just want to know if you can dissolve this stuff in water, and if so how much?? Gonna  be using it on tomatoes mainly and other veg.

WG.

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 20:47 »
Bone won't dissolve so dried blood might be more suitable.  That said, blood is mainly for nitrogen and your tomatoes would be wanting potash.  Have you any comfrey or nettles to make a tea for them?

agapanthus

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 21:23 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
Bone won't dissolve so dried blood might be more suitable.  That said, blood is mainly for nitrogen and your tomatoes would be wanting potash.  Have you any comfrey or nettles to make a tea for them?

So is there potassium in comfrey/nettle tea?

WG.

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 21:43 »
Yes, certainly lots of potash in comfrey tea.

WG.

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 22:39 »
Nettle tea has got less potash than comfrey tea.  So nettle is best to feed nitrogen for leafy veg.

infowarrior

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 07:08 »
I've got loads of nettles in allotment, how do you make nettle tea??  Is it just a case of soaking loads in water over a period of tim??

shaun

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 08:05 »
thats it mate the best way is to stuff the nettles/comfrey in a onion bag with a brick fasten the bag to a bit of rope and leave it in the water butt for a few weeks.
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

infowarrior

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 08:19 »
Would it be correct to say that it would be full of nitrogen??  What would the N.P.K. percentages be, just roughly?

Beanzie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2007, 23:07 »
Quote from: "infowarrior"
I've got loads of nettles in allotment, how do you make nettle tea??  Is it just a case of soaking loads in water over a period of tim??

Yes, its that simple. If it looks too strong then simply dilute so that it is a bit weaker
Ah well ! There is always next year !

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 38 queries.