windproofing

• 25 Replies

gobs

windproofing
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2008, 08:55 »
Thanks, Gviz. Can have some change. :wink:

Would the size of trench 23x30, it says I think, enough for most sizes and height? This one is 8-9feet tall at the highest.

shall I dig a bit deeper, or it's not necessary :lol:  :lol:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Gwiz

windproofing
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2008, 09:08 »
In all honesty I'm not sure. I have never put up a polytunnel. I have repaired a few, but never put one up from the start.
I would think that as yours is only about 9 feet tall, you wouldn't have to dig down to australia to secure it!
it is very important to put a special type of tape along the metal that will touch the plastic sheeting.If you don't, the metal heats up in the sunlight and it will very quickly ruin the plastic.
the other thing to remember is that the plastic must be as tight as you can get it, or the wind will turn it into the worlds largest kite :lol:
When i have repaired them, we dig a trench on both sides, fit the plastic in one of the trenches and then fill it in, stamping the soil down to consolidate it, and then stretch the plastic over the frames to the other side. lay the plastic over the top of the trench, NOT in the bottom of it, and then as you shovel the soil back onto the plastic to fill the trench in, it tightens up the plastic, without you having to strain any muscle!
good luck, GOBS, try to do it on a day with little wind :wink:  :lol:

gobs

windproofing
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2008, 10:17 »
Thanks, Graham, if I'm not back in March, gone with the wind... :lol:

mashauk

windproofing
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2008, 19:12 »
Heard from a friend about someone who's polytunnel blew away, across 2 gardens and into the road, and caused a car crash!  Just thought I'd share that with you :lol:

Still not sure how we're going to secure ours, but am really grateful for all the advice!

Good luck Gobs :)

sweet nasturtium

windproofing
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2008, 23:53 »
fwiw I got some of those mini polytunnels from Lidl last year and it made all the difference when I really tied it down and it was airtight - I'm sure yours will be OK Masha if you try the trench thing.

gobs

windproofing
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2008, 09:37 »
I've got a party now organised for the event. There'll be 5 of us, should be enough to argue. :lol:  :lol:

mashauk

windproofing
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2008, 13:30 »
Quote from: "sweet nasturtium"
fwiw I got some of those mini polytunnels from Lidl last year and it made all the difference when I really tied it down and it was airtight - I'm sure yours will be OK Masha if you try the trench thing.

It's only about 6' tall, so we can't really sink it more than a few inches or OH won't be able to stand up in it!

ditchdigger

• Experienced Member
windproofing
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2008, 17:38 »
Quote from: "gobs"
Ha-ha-ha.

Anybody who knows some trick?
         don't forget to puncture the polythene in the bottom of the trench, or you could end up with a swamp.
If it wasn't for chemicals we'd be organic.

WG.

windproofing
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2008, 17:47 »
Quote from: "gwiz"
the other thing to remember is that the plastic must be as tight as you can get it,

Yup - that what I reckon too
Quote from: "WG."
Put the cover on tight on a warm sunny day.  

ditchdigger

• Experienced Member
windproofing
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2008, 18:11 »
Quote from: "gwiz"
the other thing to remember is that the plastic must be as tight as you can get it,

Yup - that what I reckon too
Put the cover on tight on a warm sunny day.  
        you can usually adjust the height of the hoops a little on most decent tunnels, if you can on yours, set the end hoops at the correct height but the middle ones about two inch lower, cover as everyone says, as tight as you can and then lift the middle hoops to match the end ones and tighten. this will really tighten the poly.

gobs

windproofing
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2008, 20:19 »
Thanks everybody and wish me luck.

(To tell all those blokes helping how it really should be done. :lol:  :lol:  :lol: No hope. :roll: )

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 33 queries.