Blue Pallets

• 47 Replies

Ian_P

• Experienced Member
Blue Pallets
« on: February 04, 2009, 11:00 »
Hi,
I am just starting to build some raised beds right at the very edge of the plot, where there is just grass currently. I plan to bury the sides down a lot to slow up the weedds from the next door plot which is a mess.

I have been given some heavyweight blue pallets which would m,ake ideal sides, but each time I move them the blue stuff (paint?) comes off on my hands.

Does anyone know if this blue stuff is safe to put into a growing area, or should I dismantle my current compost bids made out of lighter untreated pallets and use the blue ones there?

Thoughts please.

Thanks froma  demon user of old pallets.  8)

Thanks

Ian
Ian

Feeding the mini-beasts of Hampshire

poppies

Re: Blue Pallets
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 11:19 »
Hi I read that blue pallets always belong to the same supplier - cant remember who  and it is illegal to take them, I dont know how much truth there is in this but perhaps thats why the paint comes off -   as a deterent.

poppies

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 11:22 »
Just googled it they belong to a company called chep and should have a white c in them

Knight Family

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 11:47 »
Sorry cannot help ref paint but did you know they have money on them, hence the blue paint.
Graham = 2x Border collie Dogs, 2x Cats, 1x Wife, 2x Kids, 2x Hamsters and now 10x chickens.

woodburner

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 12:37 »
Safer, both legally and chemically, to find some plain ones. Often you can find some on an industrial estate, freecycle is worth a look at too, but my favourite source is a local builders' merchants. (That's where I get my cardboard from too. :D )
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Steve.P

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 14:44 »
Yes its right, the pallets belong to a company called Chep. They are coloured blue to distinguish them from others. When a company delivers goods on these pallets the driver will receive a pallet control note to confirm that these pallets have been delivered. Chep is basically a pallet hire company But as these get damaged all the time i dont think they will miss a few. As for the paint or dye, company's use these to carry all manner of food stuffs so i wouldn't expect it to be toxic, more than likely the same as you would put on your shed or fence.
Life is a heap of manure. Growing one minute, stinking the next.

Mr B

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 14:48 »
Hi Ian_P
   Please do not think I am giving you a lecture but CHEP pallets are what alot of our industries use to deliver their goods to their customers on. They are hired by the sender and then de hired by them on to the account of the reciver. If you have been given them then they can only be stolen as they will alway remain the property of CHEP, a bit like the bread baskets you see every where. The chances that a CHEP inspector will visit your allotment may well be very slim but there again he may have the plot next to you. The blue paint is harmless as food stuffs are moved on the pallets but it dose stain clothes. It costs around £10 to hire one from CHEP and then a small charge per day untill it or another is returned. My company pay CHEP around £25,000 a year for hire charges and we closely monitor them in and out.
Mr B

cornykev

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 18:24 »
As the others have said Ian if they are chep pallets don't take a chance with them, they are on hire and belong to chep and I'd take them back and swop for others, good luck.  :D :D :D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU

Ian_P

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 18:52 »
 :unsure: :unsure:

Well Well, I have nicked pallets. To be sure I will go down in the morning and check for the C mark.

One thing is for sure I can't take them back. I got them from two different people on Freecycle, they had been left behind at their houses after building work. They certainly won't take them back.

This is a bit of a poser really. It might be best just to turn them into potash fertilizer and forget all about it, but that doesn't seem right.

Thoughts anyone?

Ian

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 18:56 »
Camouflage paint? ;)
Cheese makes everything better.

Ian_P

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 19:03 »
Oh double poo!

I googled Blue Pallets and the third hit got me straight back to this post!

Anyone for a bonfire party?

:-(

Steve.P

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 19:06 »
I say keep them Ian.

I'm a lorry driver and have used these pallets often. Some times with no control note being issued. I have also seen these pallets being taken to and collected from pallet sale companys.

Ian_P

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 19:20 »
Te He,
You are probably right, but just in case I have changed my picture for a while!

Don't tell!

;)

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 19:26 »
This must be the crime of the century. :ohmy:

Steve.P

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 19:45 »
This must be the crime of the century. :ohmy:

I agree. You are hereby sentenced to 25 years hard labour

question
Burnt wooden pallets

Started by Beejay on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 15, 2009, 11:08
by NigelB
xx
Obelisks made from pallets

Started by Jeanieblue on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 05, 2007, 14:31
by Jeanieblue
xx
pallets for raised beds

Started by AmandaLouise on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 21, 2012, 11:59
by bigben
xx
Making Cheap Raised Beds - Pallets????

Started by pookey on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 15, 2007, 15:41
by Plot No 2

Page created in 0.351 seconds with 34 queries.