It was going so well now no eggs and feathers disappearing

• 8 Replies

cmh63

Hi - my two hens are must be about a year now.  One is doing fine but the other I noticed has lost all her breast feathers and now see her neck feathers are going too.

They used to have the run of the garden but a few months ago i started keeping them in their run - she is now not laying although she is eating and drinking well and not obviously ill so I have allowed them back in the garden.

Her egg laying was fine then the last two she laid one had no shell then the other was tiny!

Am i missing something here - any advice?  I am currently de-licing and have always cleaned and used red mite stuff in their coup.

They are given layers pellets, sometimes a treat in the afternoon and I do also boost their vit supply with cod liver oil and marmite on toast maybe once a week.

Appreciate your advice - thanks Clare

henamoured

• Experienced Member
Re: It was going so well now no eggs and feathers disappearing
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 17:14 »
Hi, welcome to the site.
You don't mention if you supply oyster shell and grit. This is necessary for shell formation and digestion in the crop and both should be available at all times. However if it's just one shellless egg it might just be a one-off and nothing to worry about.

The lack of eggs might be due to the lice. How are you treating for that?

Are you sure she's not laying away out of the nestbox?

Sooz

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 18:11 »
Could she have gone into moult?  One of mine has and there are feather everywhere.
I'm not young enough to know everything!

bantam novice

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 19:47 »
I am not that experienced but it does sound as if she might be moulting.  Hens that are moulting don't lay as far as I am aware.  Making new feathers takes it out of a bird.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Sooz

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 09:26 »
They lose feathers, their combs pale & shrink and they stop laying.
She may not lay for a couple of months.
But when she regrows her feathers she will look pretty & prestine!!

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 12:37 »
Whew!  Glad to know that my hen isn't the only one bonker enough to molt in the middle of summer when it make the most sense!  LOL   :tongue2:
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

Sue33

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 12:48 »

One of my girls has just gone through a moult, did get a couple of smallish eggs but last couple of days she's got back in the swing of things, probably 3 - 4 weeks in all that she wasn't laying for

cmh63

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 11:50 »
Thanks for all your replies - forgot to add I think she may have impacted crop - just wondering if anyone has treated this at home and if so how.  Also did the hen stop laying and were feathers missing!

Sorry the above should have been added to the original post!

I don't add grit or shell - since the hens were laying beautiful eggs so did not think necessary.

They both seem healthy and happy - although i had kept them quite confined for a few months but have this week decided to let them roam the garden again as I am sure this has not helped with the other hen.

Let me know if you have further recommendations!  Thanks :)

hillfooter

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 02:23 »
I'd supply oystershell separately NOT in their food that way they will take what they need if any.  If you feed layers and not too many treats they will be getting all the calcium they need but ad lib oystershell won't do  any harm.

It does sound very much that your hen is moulting albeit rather early in the year which could indicate a diet issue.  In which case just ensure they have a sound simple diet of layers ad lib available all the time and a handful of corn each in an evening and don't overfeed with treats or kitchen scraps (ideally none).  I wouldn't supplement though a multivit in their water should help.  Supply clean fresh water daily.

I don't think there's much else needed at this stage other than letting nature take it's course.
Truth through science.

xx
Disappearing prolapse

Started by New shoot on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post December 14, 2011, 21:29
by New shoot
xx
Feathers

Started by derekwendy on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 14, 2010, 16:02
by derekwendy
xx
all about feathers

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post July 10, 2009, 21:06
by karlooben
xx
feathers

Started by cejx on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 03, 2012, 12:37
by mr.mellow

Page created in 0.272 seconds with 28 queries.