Finally !

• 24 Replies

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Finally !
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2012, 22:13 »
I waited in all day and still no wood.  >:(   If it doesn't arrive tomorrow it will be another week before the run gets started.

Tell your FIL he has done a brilliant job.  If he lived in the North East I would be asking him to come and build mine.  :D
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

nickiit2003

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2012, 09:19 »
Hope your wood arrives today, I hate when a delivery doesn't show on schedule.

We had to get my FIL to come down from the Isle of Lewis to build our run  :lol:

Found an egg in the middle of the run last night when I went to close the coop door and 2 eggs were on coop floor this morning.

Would the gilrs learn to lay in the nest boxes if I put an egg in them?
Barabell - Black Rock
Snowball - Light Sussex X
Peigi - Leghorn X
Clarabell - Columbian Black Tail
Bluebelle & Floraidh - Bluebelles

1 Golden Danio and 2 Zebra Danios

Trying to persuade hubby to get me a Border Terrier

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2012, 09:49 »
Yes you can leave an egg or two in the nest box for a day or so as the weather is cold enough they won't go off.  This should encourage them to lay in the nest box.  Before they lay you might notice them pacing up and down the run.  You can then put the hen in the coop and close the pop hole for half an hour or so.  I have done this before and it has worked for my hens.

I have had sincere apologies about the wood delivery which was sent to the wrong distribution centre.  No one thought to let the supplier know so they are not happy either.  Delivery will be tomorrow between 9 and 3 so at least I can go and collect the weldmesh today.  Need to get some chick supplies in for the expected hatchings due next week as well.   :)

Lardman

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2012, 10:01 »
Would the gilrs learn to lay in the nest boxes if I put an egg in them?

I put a golf ball in mine - it doesn't break when they try and play football with it  :D

nickiit2003

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2012, 10:52 »
Yeah i've just found my first broken egg, went out to put an egg in the nest box and found the broken egg and another on the coop floor. I don't have any golf balls, would one of those plastic eggs that you fill up for Easter do?

Hopefully the girls will learn to lay in the nest boxes as I don't want broken and/or pecked eggs.

Glad you got your wood delivery sorted out ANHBUC.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2012, 10:57 »
yes one of those will work fine if it's a chicken sized egg - it's just to show then where to lay  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

nickiit2003

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2012, 11:14 »
thanks joyful.

I've just found an egg with a soft circle, edges round the circle was rough and egg was misshapen, is this normal for a new layer?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2012, 11:16 »
yes perfectly normal, their bodies just have to get everything in order and then she will be away, also the egg shell colour is the final stage so the first few may not be the true colour of her shells  :)

nickiit2003

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2012, 14:30 »
woo hoo!  8)

I just got today's 6th egg and it was laid in one of the nest boxes. Well chuffed the plastic eggs appear to be doing their job and even more chuffed at getting an egg from all the girls on their 2nd day.

Had a few of my neighbours over to met my girls this afternoon. My little Clarabell (Columbian Blacktail) was the star of the show as she is the tamest and I can pick her up without her making a fuss so everybody was loving having a wee pet. When I told the children that chickens were a cousin of T-Rex they were all amazed and so I had to start a wee lesson on evolution, lol.

My girls are ace! I've so made the right decision in getting them. I would like to thank you all for giving me the necessary advice when I've asked and thank you all in advance for answering my questions that I'm sure to keep on asking.  :)

nickiit2003

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2012, 16:47 »
I just found today's 7th egg! Is this a common occourance for new layers?

xx
Finally...

Started by fd01 on Chicken Chat

13 Replies
Last post June 11, 2012, 21:51
by fd01
xx
Finally

Started by chuckmad on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post June 03, 2010, 17:17
by chuckmad
clip
yaay finally got my first egg!

Started by traacyken on Chicken Chat

12 Replies
Last post March 07, 2014, 21:11
by nerdle
xx
can we come in, we finally took the plunge

Started by Beetroot queen on Chicken Chat

7 Replies
Last post February 10, 2012, 07:54
by Beetroot queen

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 38 queries.