Removing greenhouse shading

• 8 Replies

wendyg

Removing greenhouse shading
« on: September 18, 2012, 18:50 »
I have greenhouse shading (the green net type stuff) on the outside of the gh and am wondering when it needs to be removed. 

So far I have only had 2 ripe Money Maker toms,(from 6 plants) and there is not that many green ones for chutney making, maybe it should have been taken down earlier?
1 Chicken House Blue, 1 Pied Suffolk, 1 Sussex, 1 Copper Black, 1 Cocker Spaniel, 1 border terrier x min. bull terrier, 1 Cat and an allotment.

Kleftiwallah

Re: Removing greenhouse shading
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 19:03 »
My greenhouse is orientated Northish - Southish and gets the sun all day.  I have had no shading of any kind since its construction.   I should try and see next year if you really need it.

Cheers,    Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

savbo

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 12:37 »
I'd say the sun is low enough in the sky from the start of Sep to remove shading. I didn't use any this year but have used it on previous ghouse and it was Jun/Jul/Aug when it helped.

Greenback on tomatoes is a possible result of excessive heat I think...got a bit on my Cristel toms but that could also be lack of food (changed tomato feed and not sure about their instructions!)

sav

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 20:16 »
I have some on the greenhouse that has my peppers and chillies in it.  I removed the shading yesterday, as they are still not going red yet.

wendyg

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 20:54 »
I think I will remove it tomorrow and hope there is still time for the tomatoes and peppers to ripen.

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 21:26 »
ime pleased this topic has been raised because i was unsure when to remove ours i always put my shading on the outside of the greenhouses to cover the roof and part of the sides i normally leave it until we get the first frost's :unsure:

the net we use is also the green plastic type it does take quite a time to put the net on especially if you try putting it on on a windy day i can't think of any easy way of doing this job needless to say a few naughty words are common  :mad:

savbo

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 11:41 »
I think I've written this before...I tacked battens to either end of windbreak netting (1m width)  and lift it onto the roof on the end of a long stick. One batten hangs over the roof beam, the other weighs the netting down. Never lost any to high winds, the worst that happened was they sort of flapped over each other

sav

rowlandwells

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 18:53 »
 i note what your saying savbo the problem is my greenhouses are about 3mtr wide and quite tall i have to stand on a ladder when putting net on i also find the nett snags on the glazing clips as i unroll over the glass same when i take it off i have 3 nets per greenhouse it takes the best part of a day to do

i anchor it down with string ties and metal hooks but it is time consuming but beneficial against the UV rays without the net the plants would burn up

i thought about putting the net on a wooden roller and run it out on over the apex of the greenhouse would have to be done of the ladder mite need 2 people one each side of the greenhouse

savbo

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 10:33 »
I used this technique on a 12' x 8' ghouse and used an extendable pole (the type you get for wasing windows and stuff) so I was lifting the sheets at least 10' in the air. 4 x 1m rolls on in 5 minutes... no unrolling, so doesnt really snag on clips.

if we ever have sunny summers again I'll use this method!

xx
greenhouse shading

Started by jimallotment on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

4 Replies
Last post April 23, 2016, 15:01
by steved
xx
greenhouse shading

Started by rowlandwells on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

18 Replies
Last post February 12, 2012, 08:11
by DD.
xx
Greenhouse shading

Started by Blackpool rocket on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

4 Replies
Last post August 29, 2019, 14:56
by Aidy
xx
Greenhouse Shading

Started by jane0o0 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

4 Replies
Last post June 04, 2018, 20:48
by AnneB

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 38 queries.