Cost of shredding

• 16 Replies

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
Cost of shredding
« on: March 30, 2022, 19:25 »
With the rising cost of energy is shredding ( electric ) viable ?

The options are to cut up material by hand ,  secateurs  or loppers , and put in green waste bin or  shred and add to the compost .

Normally , My preferred option would be to shred and compost , but these are not normal times.
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

jezza

Re: Cost of shredding
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2022, 20:44 »
Hello work out how much power is used per hour and the cost of the power in units,it shouldn't cost a lot as shredders arent heating anything just spinning blades or a rotor depending on models      jezza

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2022, 05:31 »
Good idea to get one!

We use the chips on an area of around 20' x 20' which we call the 'Bark Bed', and let it build up over the years as a wild area! It's in fact half the front garden, as our shrubs grow there, as do lots of wild flowers etc.!

Primroses, polyanthus, daffs and wild life just love it all!

mrs bouquet

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2022, 15:56 »
I thought you meant paper shredding !    I delete my name and address from everything and put as much as possible in paper bin.   Somethings do need the shredder.    Can I afford it  ??    Mrs B
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2022, 17:23 »
Yes I think the original poster did mean paper shredding. I’ve never considered the cost of running it but I’ve only just today done a load of shredding of old paperwork & will continue to do so as it all adds to the browns in my compost bin & I like to recycle as much as possible.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
  • :) :) :)
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2022, 18:05 »
HI,
Get yourself these:- Solar panel, charge control, battery and inverter when the suns out shred away till your hearts content.

Dan
Dear God, Please can you stop the wind and rain and bring on the nice weather. Amen

AndyRVTR

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2022, 07:56 »
Surely it could only cost pennies to use a small paper shredder? I use mine at least once a week to shred letters, envelopes, cardboard even toilet/kitchen roll tubes!

mrs bouquet

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2022, 16:31 »
I use my little paper shredder when I have got a small heap of paper and it is raining outside all day.  !!  Mrs B

GraciesGran

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2022, 07:45 »
I use my little paper shredder when I have got a small heap of paper and it is raining outside all day.  !!  Mrs B

As do I.  My mother in law had a tiny hand operated shredder, she shredded anything with personal information by on it

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2022, 09:10 »
I’m blaming this thread !  :lol: My paper shredder ground to a halt the day after I’d sorted lots of paperwork out,  wasn’t even half way through shredding it! :mad: So now do I buy a new one or do it all by hand as it ends up in the compost bin  ???

Lardman

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2022, 09:28 »
Thermal fuse blown? Sounds like an excuse to buy a new one - life's too short to cut up paperwork by hand and a nice cross cut one will speed up the composting process greatly.

Christine

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2022, 11:42 »
Wouldn't be without the house one. Gets rid of old allotment association paperwork and makes stuff to compost (no jokes about allotment paperwork ta - I can make it myself).

snowdrops

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2022, 12:56 »
Thermal fuse blown? Sounds like an excuse to buy a new one - life's too short to cut up paperwork by hand and a nice cross cut one will speed up the composting process greatly.

Nah hubby took it to bits, he can usually mend most things but said it was a goner & he’d put it in the bin, it was a cross cut. Wouldn’t mind it was supposed to do 7 sheets at a time but I was doing 3, it always did clog up at the sides
Apparently Fellowes is supposed to beagood make & do cardboard but when I looked online the home office ones never mentioned cardboard so I wonder if that’s bigger office type ones, & I’m not paying out that much!

johnjsdb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2022, 23:12 »
are we still talking about a garden shredder?

jezza

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2022, 07:23 »
Looks like some ones gone off the subject,started ad a garden shredder and ended up a house hold paper shredder  answer to the original question is from the machine that was in use last Friday it uses 75p for 4 hours that wad with the motor running constantly not shredding all the time  jezza

thumbup
A mornings shredding.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post October 04, 2023, 16:14
by mrs bouquet
xx
cost of things

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

11 Replies
Last post February 15, 2024, 19:42
by jaydig
xx
What does it cost for some one to cut the grass

Started by LILLILEAF on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post February 14, 2018, 20:35
by LILLILEAF
xx
the cost of cough

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post March 21, 2020, 11:50
by WeavingGryphon

Page created in 1.299 seconds with 53 queries.