My girls have eaten a poisonous plant help!!!

• 13 Replies

Mother-Hen

• Experienced Member
My girls have eaten a poisonous plant help!!!
« on: May 04, 2009, 11:18 »
Hi I hope someone can help. My girls decided to attack my "Daphne" plant, which they have never done before. Have now fenced it off but apparently it is poisonous, will they be ok? (I'm sick with worry) Will be discarding their eggs tomorrow just incase.  ???

Signed
Mother-Hen
Sometimes you have to accept that somedays you are the pigeon and somedays you are the statue!

Vember

Re: My girls have eaten a poisonous plant help!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 11:27 »
Hi MHen
Welcome to the Hen House :)

I think the best thing to do is keep a close eye on them :)
Chickens don't tend to go mad on plants that aren't good for them, some people on here have reported their birds eating rhubarb leaves and have no ill effects :)

Sarah :)

Foxy

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 11:31 »
Any evidence of lethargy, or ill health you can give and epsom salt lavage

Chicken flushes - from "The chicken Health Handbook" by Gail Damerow

When a chicken suffers from an intestinal disease or form food poisoning you can hasten its recovery by flushing its system with a laxative that absorbs toxins and removes them from the body.

Epsom-salt flush: I teaspoon Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) in 1/2 a cup of water, poured or squirted down the birds throat twice daily for 2 or 3 days, or until the bird recovers

Rubellite

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 22:05 »

Epsom-salt flush: I teaspoon Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) in 1/2 a cup of water, poured or squirted down the birds throat twice daily for 2 or 3 days, or until the bird recovers

That sounds like a good game, Foxy, have you ever tried it? ::)

nnbreeder

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 05:47 »
 I have and it is very easy to do. First you firmly wrap the bird in a towel to control wings and feet and then use a crop tube made from a syringe and a bit of clear plastic tubing. Place the palm of you hand at the back of the bird's head and then open the beak with two finger on the same hand and insert the crop tube into the crop and empty the contents of the syringe into the crop. With a bird you do not have to worry about going into the lungs with the tube as there is a small hole at the back of the throat that goes to the lungs. As long as you are behind that hole it will go into the crop.

Foxy

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 08:41 »
I have and it is very easy to do. First you firmly wrap the bird in a towel to control wings and feet and then use a crop tube made from a syringe and a bit of clear plastic tubing. Place the palm of you hand at the back of the bird's head and then open the beak with two finger on the same hand and insert the crop tube into the crop and empty the contents of the syringe into the crop. With a bird you do not have to worry about going into the lungs with the tube as there is a small hole at the back of the throat that goes to the lungs. As long as you are behind that hole it will go into the crop.

and maybe get someone to help you?!  :lol: :lol:

Mother-Hen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 15:04 »
Hi
My Girls seem absolutely fine after their poisonous snack, but thanks for the advise will use this if they ever do anything like this again. ( Hopefully they won't as have now fenced off offensive plant!! Am discarding eggs for a week just in case don't want to poison family   :wub:

nnbreeder

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 03:18 »
Foxy the most nerve wracking thing that I have ever done was to hand feed newly hatched Cockatiels so controling big birds and putting a crop tube in them is easy!

This is a newly hatched Cockatiel next to a bantam chicken egg, the syringe full of food is there too.

Rubellite

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 12:20 »
Foxy the most nerve wracking thing that I have ever done was to hand feed newly hatched Cockatiels so controling big birds and putting a crop tube in them is easy!

Oo- er that's a funny looking little thing. What did it look like when it was all grown up? :blink:

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 12:22 »
OMG, that's amazing!
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

nnbreeder

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 07:38 »
Here is a pic of them half grown and fully grown. Since I was cleaning cages one day and had them all in one I took a picture of the parents as a group.

FRUITFULL

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 07:44 »
They are adorable  :D how sweet! they must be so tame with all the handling.  :D

Foxy

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 08:34 »
Wow! aren't they funny looking :D love the littluns expressions, do you call them chicks???

Rubellite

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 11:34 »
They're lovely when they look like real birdies  :lol:

xx
Ivy poisonous?

Started by beki on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 08, 2009, 18:39
by beki
xx
poisonous to hens?

Started by cheshirecat on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 10, 2009, 15:52
by Sue33
xx
Are these poisonous to chickens?

Started by birmancats on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 26, 2010, 19:26
by Junie
xx
poisonous plants

Started by bashful_badger on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 22, 2009, 08:28
by lukasmum

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 39 queries.