Advice needed please

• 9 Replies

piglet 30

Advice needed please
« on: June 28, 2011, 09:28 »
Hi Folks I am just posting on here for some advice as new to this!!

I have two pekin bantums who are both very broody so decided to get them some eggs and let them do their job they have been sitting well for 13 days now however yesterday I went to the house and one of the hens has literally moved her nest about 10cm out of the nest box that she was happily sat in I am not sure of she was getting too hot or what?? My question is shall I just leave her or should I move the eggs back to the nest box??

Also I have also read various things on the  internet and am not sure when I should expect them to hatch they are bantum eggs so am I right in thinking this would be 19days rather than the 23 days normal larger hens take??

Any advice warmly welcome

many thanks :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Advice needed please
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 10:00 »
first of all check the coop for red mite - she could have moved herself and the eggs away from them to avoid being bitten. In which case you need to treat that coop and not move the eggs back.
Bantams can hatch anytime from day 19 to day 21 (the usual hatching day for large fowl is day 21) - remember the day you put the eggs under them is day 0 and not 1, but I have had eggs hatch on day 28 so patience is needed.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 10:02 »
Joyfull knows best but could it have been too warm in their nest box - it was very hot yeaterday !

piglet 30

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 10:39 »
AHHHHHHHH Yes red mite have invaded what shall I do now??? What is safe for red mite in nests and with eggs?? Do I remove the nesting material that seems to be infested or use power etc???

joyfull

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 10:43 »
do you have a spare coop or even a cat carrier you could place her and her eggs into whilst you treat the coop thoroughly?

orchardlady

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 11:34 »
If you can follow these steps to make the move as easy as possible.

Find if possible an old rabbit hutch or old wooden box. If the hutch is felt roofed remove this as if there are any stray mites on your hen they will re populate and hide ther making it impossible for you to get at them to treat. Leave the roof board if possible if not an old piece of ply and a heavy item on top will suffice.

Paint the interior of the rabbit hutch including the roof boards with a slurry made up of Diatomaceous Earth water and a good squirt of washing up liquid. Mix to the consistency of thick cream/pouring custard. Slather it everywhere. Allow it to dry and put nesting bedding in.

Get hold of your vet and convince them you need Frontline spray for this problem. Tell them your broodies are infested and are likely to abandon their eggs as they are quite literally sitting targets for the mites. Give each broodie a squirt on the back of the neck/ between the shoulders (parting the feathers to do it) a squirt under one wing and a final squirt in the fluffy bottom feathers. If the vet is hesitant about this step tell them you will take full responsibility and will sign whatever they want to cover their backs.

Transfere you broodies into their new accommodation at dusk with their eggs. Shut them in with their eggs if needed with a piece of old ply to contain them in the night quarters of the rabbit hutch. Leave them shut in until late afternoon the next day. Open them up and encourage them to eat and drink in the 'day' part of the hutch. They will then return to their eggs with maybe a bit of panicking but will settle back to the job in hand.

Then address the main hen house for red mite, using poultry shield, diatomaceous earth slurry etc. If you have a felt roof RIP IT OFF as the mite live and love there. Re roof using Onduiline or other similar bitumen based corrugated roofing.

You will need to spray the main hen house at a minimum interval of 5 days for several weeks to break the egg/hatch/mature cycle of the red mite.

Good luck it's all a great deal of work but worth it as you really really do not want red mite and chicks.

Orchardlady

joyfull

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 11:39 »
sound advice there OL, as always  :)

orchardlady

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 11:45 »
Why thank you Joyfull (said with a curtsey)

OL

piglet 30

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 12:46 »
Thanks folks I am off!!! to the garden to try and sort these little mites out!! :ohmy:

joyfull

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 12:47 »
good luck xx

question
Help needed please... advice on chicks needed

Started by newatthis on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 21, 2010, 17:26
by Sassy
xx
Advice needed on ill hen

Started by freddiesmiles on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 30, 2009, 10:21
by freddiesmiles
xx
advice needed

Started by WOODY7 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 10, 2011, 18:18
by alisonwo
xx
Advice needed please...

Started by Pixieswift on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post October 13, 2011, 13:41
by Pixieswift

Page created in 0.3 seconds with 39 queries.