new to gardening...

• 9 Replies

veggies

new to gardening...
« on: July 20, 2009, 18:37 »
Hello all,  i have been helping the mother-in-law getting set up in her back garden with a small plastic green house and she has 2 tomato plant in there, i like very much watching programes on tv on living off the land or growing your own, can anybody HELP and tell me what i could poss grow in a greenhouse approx 6x6 or 6x8 i will have to get a greenhouse with out glass and get plastic has we have kids, is these plastic greenhouses just as good or is glass better cheers all........
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 18:55 by veggies »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: new to gardening...
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 18:59 »
'Fraid I don't know the answer to your questions but welcome anyway  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 19:27 »
I have a Norfolk greenhouse, made of semi-rigid plastic that's fine :) I think that glass ones are maybe warmer, but i grow stuff ok in the plastic 1 and i know my grandchildren won't get hurt :D
It's 6 x 8 and i have 5 toms in the ground on 1 side a small bench on the other side plus 3 more toms in pots, plus a cucumber growing up netting on the end wall (soon to start growing along the ridge :D) I start most stuff off in spring on the bench (after germination indoors) and then the toms take over  :blush:
Hope this helps :)

veggies

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 09:38 »
thats mate for you reply, i think the greenhouse i was looking at was the same as your ( in the garden kitchen mag i think ) would it be poss to put a photo or 2 on just so i can see it cheers paul.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 10:19 by veggies »

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 10:32 »
It's surprising what you can fit into a small space, if you organise it well - my greenhouse is approx 6' x 8' and I have 5 melon plants, 10 tomato plants, 4 cucumber plants, 10 pepper plants and 6 chilli plants. All doing very well.
 You are probably a bit late to start summer stuff off now, although cucumbers will still have time as they are quite quick. I have just started two more off to replace the ones that have nearly finished. Then you can do salad leaves in the autumn, and start your toms off in early spring next year.
I don't know whether plastic is as warm as glass, but you could insulate it with bubble wrap until later in the spring after the frosts.
Good luck!
Rachael

veggies

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 17:25 »
It's surprising what you can fit into a small space, if you organise it well - my greenhouse is approx 6' x 8' and I have 5 melon plants, 10 tomato plants, 4 cucumber plants, 10 pepper plants and 6 chilli plants. All doing very well.
 You are probably a bit late to start summer stuff off now, although cucumbers will still have time as they are quite quick. I have just started two more off to replace the ones that have nearly finished. Then you can do salad leaves in the autumn, and start your toms off in early spring next year.
I don't know whether plastic is as warm as glass, but you could insulate it with bubble wrap until later in the spring after the frosts.
Good luck!

hi thanks for the tips, would you be able to post a few photos of your greenhouse just so i can see how you have got the plants set up...thanks if its a problem dont worry. think off getting a greenhouse soon ish for next year, was going to try and grow the things you have also tomatos....fingers crossed..

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 22:55 »

would you be able to post a few photos of your greenhouse just so i can see how you have got the plants set up...
[/quote]

Have a look at my blog (click on the globe symbol to the left) and there are some photos on the 5th July post 'Greenhouse Report'. Basically there are tomatoes all the way up one side with peppers in front, on the other side tomatoes half way then cucumbers, again with peppers in front. There is a very narrow 'aisle' up the middle! At the far end is staging with the melons in growbags and chillies in pots. Everything is grown in pots or growbags which makes it easy to change the compost every year.

veggies

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 08:10 »

would you be able to post a few photos of your greenhouse just so i can see how you have got the plants set up...

Have a look at my blog (click on the globe symbol to the left) and there are some photos on the 5th July post 'Greenhouse Report'. Basically there are tomatoes all the way up one side with peppers in front, on the other side tomatoes half way then cucumbers, again with peppers in front. There is a very narrow 'aisle' up the middle! At the far end is staging with the melons in growbags and chillies in pots. Everything is grown in pots or growbags which makes it easy to change the compost every year.
[/quote]

thanks looks good , silly question but do you get much to eat from the stuff you are growen..

Mitsy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 08:52 »
Welcome to the site. We eat daily from our garden  ;)
You have not lost the battle unless you quit :)

Michelle x

veggies

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 09:08 »
Welcome to the site. We eat daily from our garden  ;)

cheers, must taste better than asda and tescos etc....

xx
No dig gardening

Started by doubledug on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post March 25, 2009, 19:09
by CARROTTCRUNCHER
xx
'No-dig' gardening

Started by Luiska on Grow Your Own

52 Replies
Last post May 04, 2017, 07:55
by Blewit
xx
Is anyone doing any gardening at all?

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

48 Replies
Last post April 21, 2008, 01:03
by Trillium
xx
No dig gardening

Started by freckledbeck on Grow Your Own

41 Replies
Last post March 04, 2010, 07:57
by freckledbeck

Page created in 0.391 seconds with 40 queries.