What to add to the soil

• 4 Replies

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
What to add to the soil
« on: March 12, 2014, 21:24 »
Having only had our plot for 6 weeks we don't know what the rotation method was, if any or what fertilizers etc have been added and when in the past. We do know that the soil look really good and when tested the ph was on average 6.
Do we need to add anything for this year and if so what. I know we are too late for manure and we haven't got any anyway.
I have added our plan of what we intend to plant where for you to see.

Ma x
Image3.jpg

fatcat1955

Re: What to add to the soil
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 21:38 »
Lime where your Brassica's are going and a general purpose fertilizer on the rest. Growmore or fish blood + bone if you are going down the organic route.

Eightball

• Experienced Member
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 21:45 »
I use calcified seaweed as an alternative to lime as it also adds trace elements to the soil. Also how weedy is your plot? If you have any beds you don't intend to use for a few months I would suggest growing a green manure.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 22:08 by Eightball »

Christine

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 19:42 »
You are in the same predicament as most people taking on a new plot. At this stage of the season it's a bit late to be worrying about adding manure or compost - but that's something to collect over the season for soil improvement in the autumn and winter. So start building the compost heap now (beg, scrounge and borrow on permanent loan of other people's veggie peelings, dead flowers and such).

But for the season - add fertiliser of your choice a couple of weeks before you sow or plant. Growmore is non-organic but an excellent general purpose fertiliser. Blood, Fish and Bone is equally good but nearer organic. I use a mixture of chicken pellets and calcified seaweed. The latter adds trace elements. It's cheap down our allotment association. Not cheap at the garden centre.

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 07:03 »
I have read about the 6x fertilizer would it be beneficial to add that to all the plots or some of them. We are wanting to add something to the plots by soon as we are away the week after next at least then what ever we add will be in the soil for a few weeks before we start to plant things.

Our plot is not that weedy as it was well cared for right up until dec last year but then the owner passed away in Jan this year and we took it over in February . It does have areas of couch grass though which we have tried to get up but know it will take a while to clear. We have some Glyphosphate which we will be spraying this weekend on the grass.
There was a compost heap at the n
Bottom of the plot and as we wanted it moved we spread that over the bottom area and dug it in. It was excellent looking stuff too.

xx
what should i add to the soil

Started by lightinglad on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 14, 2010, 21:18
by kingdhesiii
xx
soil

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 26, 2012, 22:11
by Plot74
xx
wet soil?

Started by Brassica Blaz on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 02, 2010, 18:42
by Paul Plots
xx
If I really really can't dig into the soil...

Started by andreadon on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 23, 2010, 14:56
by digalotty

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 39 queries.