broody hen

• 2 Replies

p00rstudent

• Experienced Member
broody hen
« on: July 14, 2011, 10:58 »
Hello everyone

On tuesday one of my chooks has gone broody, and i am considering trying to hatch some eggs under her. I should be able to get some fertilised eggs by tomorrow, is it just a case of replacing the exsisting (non fertile ones) that she is sat on with the fertilised ones and then just leave her to get on with it? is there anything i need to watch out for?

Currently she is in her coop and run, with her own feeder and drinker, she orginally had made a nest for herself under a bush in the garden. She didnt put herself to bed tuesday night like she normally would and when i tried to pick her up to give her a quick check over she made a real racket fluffed herself up and pecked my hands to bits, which is completely out of character for her as i have always been able to pick her up and carry her with out any complaints before.

So based on this i assumed she was broody. Thus yesterday morning I moved the nest and her into the spare coop and run, and she almost imediatedly spread herself out like a pancake on top of the nest and made the warning rosey noise, so i left her too it for the rest of the day and checked on her in the evening and she hadnt moved and again started making that warning rosey noise when i opened the lid of the coop.

So i was thinking of trying to hatch some eggs under her, which i should be able to put under her tonight/tomorrow. Is there anything that i need to do after that or will she just get on with it? What about cleaning the coop, normally i do this once a week, but do i just leave it till the eggs have hatched? also what do i do when they hatch? do i leave them with her in the spare coop and run or would i be better off putting them under a heat lamp?

In the past i have hatched them in an incubator and kept them in a brooder under a heat lamp, this will be the first time i have tried to hatch eggs under a broody hen and was wondering if any one has any advise for me? Hints or Tips?

Thank you in advanced for any help you can give.

JaK

• Happy half plot.
Re: broody hen
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 12:41 »
Yes, replace her eggs with fertile ones. If she doesn't do it herself, take her off the nest to eat, drink and poop twice a day (I only did it once a day with mine and she keeled over!), clean up any bits you need to while she is off the nest.
What eggs will you be hatching?
Good luck  :)

p00rstudent

• Experienced Member
Re: broody hen
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 13:42 »
It will be a dolly mixture, the cokerel is a light sussex but he is in with girls of various breeds so there will probably be quiet a lot of variation amongst them.

xx
eating fertile eggs from under a broody!! and general broody questions

Started by frenchliving on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 20:58
by ANHBUC
xx
Sorry ANOTHER broody question (that's BROODY not B*oody)

Started by Fifitrix on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 10:36
by Fifitrix
xx
how and do ? hybrids (brown hen) go broody how can you get them broody ?

Started by alotment shed on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 22, 2009, 09:13
by too many girls
xx
Broody or not broody that is the question.

Started by Ma Lowe on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 20, 2010, 14:10
by nicky d

Page created in 0.255 seconds with 36 queries.