prolapse in hen

• 3 Replies

darcyhen

prolapse in hen
« on: March 29, 2010, 14:43 »
My Doris seems to have a prolapse. This morning she looked like she had a soft egg hanging from her behind. Later it had gone and it looked ok - feathers weat and white but then she poo-ed and there was a red protrudence. It did go back but obviously I am concerned.
She's a mad free ranging Sussex so I will not be able to catch her without worrying her. So I thought I would wait until this eve when she is roosting.
What am I supposed to do if she still has a prolapse? I dont want to make it worse.
Advice please.

Thanks

Michelle

dizzylizzie

Re: prolapse in hen
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 15:38 »
Its very hard to judge without seeing her ???
Hemorrhoid cream applied to the vent can help with swelling, and  would spray the area with purple spray to disinfect and disguise the redness as the other chickens can peck the skin.If she does develop a prolapse, i would get her to the vet ASAP. Hope she is ok for you

petejulie

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 16:25 »
 Hi we recently had this happen to our very friendly hen who always had something to say to you. I found a blooming egg in the nest box and as you described a thing hanging from her behind, i took her to the vet and it was the worst kind of prolapse her ovary and other bits had come out ,he said he could have stitched it in but would come out the next time she layed so we decided that was enough as the others would start pecking at it and we sadly left her with him, hope your hen is well and was only a little prolapse
                reguards  julie

darcyhen

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 22:56 »
yes it popped itself back in and she is happy and laying  no problem. Thankfully, as i was dreading it being something serious.
Thanks
michelle

xx
Hen prolapse

Started by Bubbles5 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 29, 2021, 08:53
by New shoot
xx
Prolapse

Started by Beano on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 11, 2012, 09:35
by Beano
xx
prolapse why?

Started by dollybird on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 25, 2010, 19:37
by GrannieAnnie
xx
help prolapse

Started by arty on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 24, 2013, 10:48
by arty

Page created in 0.249 seconds with 38 queries.