Help - Prolapse

• 6 Replies

bedifferent

• Experienced Member
Help - Prolapse
« on: March 22, 2008, 18:57 »
One of my Cochins was found with a large prolapse vent this am. I took her to the VET who said that they could push it back in treat her with antibiotics which would all cost around 120 pounds. They also said that it was likely to happen again and that the best thing was to put her down. I was a bit on the spot and so could not seek advice from you all. Anyway, she was put to sleep.
Was the vet right that it would probably happen again? and was there anything i could have done to prevent it? This would have been her first egg :{

Any thoughts would be great.
If you do things well, do them better. Be daring, be first, be different, be just.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Help - Prolapse
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 19:02 »
It may well have happened again, but I also know hens who have recovered.  It's quite difficult to nurse them through it and you have to try to stop them laying for a while by reducing their feed drastically and keeping them in a darkish place.  It's not easy so sadly on balance it was probably best to say goodbye  :cry:   :cry:

mdueal

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.averysmallholding.co.uk/
Help - Prolapse
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 19:25 »
I'm so sorry! I think I would have done the same as restricting their food and trying to stop them laying for the risk of it happening again whilst they heal would just be really hard - both on yourself and, i imagine, the hen.

Glad your vet gave you the options to let you make your mind up - ours is very much of the old school patriachical approach where they know best so they don't tell you what they are doing, just do it and there is no time for questions - you find out when you go back into reception and it is itemised on the bill.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Help - Prolapse
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 22:45 »
I think you did the best thing it is always a hard choice. I Had two do it some years back and both never really recovered, I found with mine I was feeding them too many treats like pasta and sweetcorn etc. Since then I've been pretty strict over diets and only give a little scraps every now and then.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Captain_Dingbat

Help - Prolapse
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 23:29 »
One of my ex-batts got this and we thought it was the end of her, we kept her warm in a spare rabbit hutch and washed her daily, and applied Preparation-H which worked wonders! It may well happen again but shes out and about now, pecking happily and enjoying life, the next time maybe worse if it DOES happen again, then we'll make the decision depending on how bad she is.

Fat Hen

Help - Prolapse
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 00:40 »
One of my new ex bats had this problem last November, gave anti bios and cleaned her twice daily & applied astringent cream.  After a couple of weeks she was right as rain.  Put on  weight, grew back her feathers but was put to sleep this Feb as she had very aggressive cancerous growth.  

My vet is very sympathetic to hens (especially ex bats) so the numerous visits, injections etc etc only came to £30.  And then when I went back some months later with our dog I was told I was overcharged and given rebate. :shock:

So you never know which way the cards are dealt.  You made the right decision on the information that was available to you.

Jellyhead

Help - Prolapse
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 12:14 »
Aaah, big hugs from over here :cry:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

xx
Possible prolapse? Help please

Started by ferretkeeper on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 03, 2011, 23:47
by hillfooter
xx
Prolapse

Started by CoopersCoop on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 02, 2012, 16:30
by kegs
xx
HELP!! what causes a prolapse

Started by parks1 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 05, 2011, 15:48
by joyfull
xx
Please help! Prolapse

Started by LilRed on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 28, 2010, 16:54
by LilRed

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 35 queries.