Lets Be(e) friends & butterflies of course

• 5 Replies

Dopey113

Lets Be(e) friends & butterflies of course
« on: April 12, 2012, 14:58 »
 Did some sweet peas and foxglove (3,000 seeds) last week at the back of the lotty, and doing some wild flowers this weekend also mostly throw and grow about 4,000 to 5,000 seeds, perennials and annuals mixed seeds, corn poppy mixed (14,000 seeds) lavender (600 seeds) marigolds mixed (600) and I have some herbs as well, like sage oregano, and stuff like that, I have other flowering things as well, like about 10 sunflowers for the birds, I noticed last year, as I'm new to the lotty, that no one had any flowers at all, OK I have gone a bit over the top I know, but if even just 10% get up and grow, then it will make a difference, why cant people give something back, it only takes a little space to have flowers, how else are you going to pollinate everything?

« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 17:59 by DD. »
If Its Not Growing... Its Dead.

LilacSandy

Re: Lets Be(e) friends & butterfly's of course
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 17:53 »
I grow loads of veg and I have two plots but I love the sound of the bees as they flit over the flowers and I grow lots, some for the bees, some to attract the greenfly and cabbage white from the veg, some to cut to take home and some just because they look nice.

sarajane

Re: Lets Be(e) friends & butterflies of course
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 21:35 »
My herb bed is surrounded with chive plants and 2 large lavenders.  The bees absolutely love them and flock in their hundreds when in full bloom.  Also plant lots of tagetes and poppies, cosmos and borage now self seed.

I love to see flowers on the plot

maxyboo

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 21:46 »
I threw some cosmos, cornflower, nasturtium and wildflower seed in my garden last year and was really pleased with how pretty they looked. Nice to know you are doing your bit for nature too. I am about to do the same this year but will include other flowers like nigella, poppies and try a couple of mixes. I prefer a more natural look to my beds anyway so hope to have them coming up all over the place. :)

fluffstermum

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 21:52 »
I've always insisted on having flowers on our plot. Last year it distracted the eye from the weeds so well that my other half has agreed to the flower patch being extended  :D

At the moment there are tulips and the remains of other spring bulbs on display, then I'll fill the space with summer bedding plants once the spring bulbs have done their time. We also just planted a lavender and heather in the flower patch.

We have a little nature area (new for us this year) with bug boxes, a ladybird tower and bee house, holes drilled into a log etc, so I'm hoping this might help limit the cabbage fly attack and attract friendly bees for pollination. If not then at least the flowers will look pretty  :)
14th April 12 plot.JPG

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 06:40 »
We have put our name down for a half plot on a new site in the village, but as there is low demand at the moment (mainly because only really keen people know they are coming) we are hoping we can have a full plot and there will definitely be some space for flowers. Our garden is also crammed full, but I don't pick them, apart from sweet peas.

xx
happy Christmas to all my growing friends lets hope for another great season

Started by ricky on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post December 26, 2014, 12:04
by snowdrops
xx
Plants for bees and butterflies?

Started by GYO Girl on General Gardening

25 Replies
Last post May 04, 2012, 21:48
by GYO Girl
xx
Border planting scheme ideas for bees and butterflies

Started by kittiwake on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post August 24, 2010, 16:14
by grumpydad
xx
Please lets help the wildlife

Started by Ruby Red on General Gardening

26 Replies
Last post September 19, 2009, 07:31
by Rangerkris

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 36 queries.