If you need compost

• 23 Replies

Elcie

If you need compost
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2008, 20:04 »
Quote from: "compostqueen"
yes, as I said,  subsidised cost us £20  :(   The subsidy level depends on individual councils

The council now runs a green bin scheme and so is now discouraging home composting so has removed the subsidy on the bins, thus we have to pay £20 for a 660 litre bin instead of the £8 we had been paying :(

If I can get one off Freecycle I'll be chuffed  :D

Isn't the green bin only for garden waste though?  It is in our area.  So much more can go into a compost bin.  blooming councils  :evil:

Christine

If you need compost
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2008, 18:36 »
Different councils use different colours for bins - our composting bins are brown and our general rubbish bins are green - obviously councils just suit themselves.

I believe that councils give their garden waste collections to commercial companies to process. These companies will then want to sell the result so want everyone to hand in their rubbish. We can't have us individuals going into competition with commercial compost making companies can we?  :roll:

Of course the councils will state that home composting encourage rats and vermin.   :roll:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
If you need compost
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2008, 20:04 »
Quote from: "blue_cortina"
I'm finding it difficult to make enough compost for both my garden and my allotment - is there anything else I can compost that I've not already thought of - assuming I'm doing all the usual things - what about the less obvious things ?

Green manure is the way forward  8)  it's a lot lighter than a ton of horse poo and cheapish too. Just dig in a few weeks before you need the ground.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Etherelda

• Experienced Member
    • http://fernanddavesallotment.blogspot.com/
If you need compost
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2008, 23:32 »
Quote from: "compostqueen"
yes, as I said,  subsidised cost us £20  :(   The subsidy level depends on individual councils

The council now runs a green bin scheme and so is now discouraging home composting so has removed the subsidy on the bins, thus we have to pay £20 for a 660 litre bin instead of the £8 we had been paying :(

If I can get one off Freecycle I'll be chuffed  :D

Yep, for the larger Compost Converter (Con 330) its £20 now, I remember paying £12 a year or so ago, however, I've just looked the price up on recycle now under my dads postcode and its £18. I know its only £2 but I go to see him anyway, and it'll make me feel less guilty about using the car, and it'll fit in the car I hope.
"Do not sit supine in God's Waiting Room."

compostqueen

If you need compost
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2008, 23:37 »
I'm checking out my niece's postcodes and if their bins are cheaper than mine I'll be paying them all a visit  :D

I love the phacelia, so do bees  :D  Fancy trying the winter tares too

Etherelda

• Experienced Member
    • http://fernanddavesallotment.blogspot.com/
If you need compost
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2008, 23:46 »
£12 for the 330l at my mates in London

This is gonna end up being a competition for the best subsidising councils!

compostqueen

If you need compost
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2008, 23:52 »
I reckon Surrey was giving em away free at one time. Pity my rellies all live up north.  Lincs is even dearer than here so trying Barnsley and parts of Notts. Good game, good game  :D

purron

If you need compost
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2008, 09:04 »
In North tyneside last month the council were giving them away for free to over 60s, so i filled out a letter 'on behalf of the mother in law' and got one within 2 weeks.

compostqueen

If you need compost
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2008, 09:17 »
our oldies got free water butts too   :D

xx
Compost

Started by Cavolo Nero on Frugal Living

5 Replies
Last post February 27, 2010, 12:44
by Cavolo Nero
xx
B & Q Compost

Started by Sprouts on Frugal Living

5 Replies
Last post April 11, 2012, 19:26
by Lawrence
thumbup
Compost Bin

Started by compostqueen on Frugal Living

6 Replies
Last post May 25, 2010, 20:32
by compostqueen
xx
COMPOST DEAL

Started by woodentop on Frugal Living

8 Replies
Last post January 08, 2008, 19:07
by David.

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 36 queries.