wisteria

• 4 Replies

green fingers

• Experienced Member
wisteria
« on: May 18, 2008, 17:38 »
My son planted a wisteria against one of his walls last year.  There is a little growth this year,one or two flower buds coming, but was wondering if it should be pruned back hard and if so what time of year to do it. It certainly isnt rampant in any way shape or form.
I am asking this question as I traveled from North Lincs to Norfolk this weekend and saw absolutely loads of wisteria in full bloom - which is why I am asking the question about pruning.  Also what diseases are wisteria prone to?

I

gobs

Re: wisteria
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 20:48 »
Quote from: "green fingers"
It certainly isnt rampant in any way shape or form.

I

Not yet. :lol:

Well, seriously, it's an enormous vine, doesn't get its size here. :wink:

But, likes warm and sun and will go mad once established. A strict pruning routine is paramount, prune in dormancy in winter to frame and summer prune - second half - as space required ruthlessly, even every 2 weeks. This is once established till then just get a framework for your space.

It can get some so and so, I can't remember what, since my 12 year old here never had anything to worry about, so my mum has one in Hungary, well, since I remember life , it's probably near the same age as I am and it never had anything, so would not worry about that much.

:wink:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Ruby Red

wisteria
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 22:59 »
We have a beauty on our wall. After flowering is over , round about august remove all the whips that are growing. These are very long thin whippy bits that grow from the stem .Then in March, cut back the branches to 2 buds long. You will be thinking , "oh my god thats really severe " but trust me. It all grows again. Its taken us 6 years to get ours to be as lovely as it is this year. Dont give up they are notoriously difficult to start with. :D
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

green fingers

• Experienced Member
wisteria
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 07:51 »
thanks gobs and ruby red for this.
Gobs - didnt quite understand second paragraph :D
Have taken note and will proeed accordingly!

gobs

wisteria
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 09:42 »
Well, you gotta know, what shape and where and what space it goes into and is let to fill in, a pergola, building, other frame, sometimes it is trained as a standard.

The framework will be soft wood trained into this space and shape - tied or just woven - and let to grow to limits, this will thicken and get woody with age, from these, young shoots and flowering spurs grow that provide the flowers. These young shoots will need thinning and shortening often.

xx
Wisteria

Started by Rangerkris on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post April 03, 2010, 18:31
by DavidT
xx
wisteria

Started by Babstreefern on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post June 08, 2012, 10:04
by sunshineband
xx
wisteria

Started by tetley on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post February 07, 2007, 18:21
by tetley
xx
Wisteria

Started by Novice on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post July 14, 2008, 13:22
by Ruby Red

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 35 queries.