Sickly looking sweet peas

• 3 Replies

Vegpot

« on: May 02, 2008, 21:46 »
Hello - I haven't been on here for a while!

I planted some small sweet pea plants in my newly filled raised bed about a fortnight ago.  Not knowing a lot about the soil (it was a delivery from a local reputable place) I dug in some compost to the top layer and threw on a good load of chicken poo pellets which had dissolved in by the time I planted anything.  But I've been noticing that some of the leaves look a funny colour, ie not a healthy green, and although they are still putting on growth they don't look as though they're really thriving.  Does this mean they are lacking some minerals and need some extra fertilizer, I know they're heavy feeders, but what should I put on them or not?  We have had some cold spells, and the odd snow and hail but I wasn't sure if that was the real cause.

What do the sweet pea growers out there think?

TheChilliMan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 21:49 »
According to a book I have, they dont need anything, just summers that arnt too hot and the odd feeding, with plenty of water. Thats what I do with myne, and they are thriving.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 22:39 »
It could be the first set of leaves dying off, or any number of things, is it just the bottom set of leaves ? or is it working it's way up the plant? They do like a good feed, but it sounds as tho' you have it covered. Try some epsom salts watered on to them it may help if it's a magnesium related deficiency.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Vegpot

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 13:41 »
Thanks both, I'll keep an eye on the new growth and it it is still discoloured I'll try the epsom salt remedy!

xx
Sweet peas

Started by Diddy Gardener on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post April 21, 2012, 12:43
by Stree
xx
sweet peas

Started by scotty on General Gardening

11 Replies
Last post April 23, 2009, 20:34
by wighty
xx
Sweet peas going out ??

Started by RichardA on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post April 13, 2011, 23:03
by RichardA
xx
sweet peas

Started by flowergirl on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post August 05, 2007, 13:01
by David.

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 35 queries.