Brambles and other assailants...

• 6 Replies

Growster...

Brambles and other assailants...
« on: June 11, 2020, 20:49 »
Like most gardeners, I deal with brambles with secateurs, a machete, a Bofors gun and the occasional Howitzer, but they always come back to stab, hurt, maim etc...

Has anyone thought how to get rid of these beasts?

I have this sort of 'dream' where we could make up some sort of - for a better description - a ladies hair-clip, the sort which bunches your tresses (not mine - yet) in a double comb, and of course, you all ladies look gorgeous when wearing one..:0~

(Growster, come down off the ceiling and carry on your post - NOW)!

So, you find your bramble, prune it except for the top four inches, then attach the said comb, to grip the top, and insert its spikes which have an evil SBK weedkiller in the tines, which then permeate down into the roots and kills the zod...

Any better ideas on an Elastoplast please...

JimB

• Experienced Member
Re: Brambles and other assailants...
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 21:10 »

Fire! that which burns never returns!

Beside my plot there was a square piece of ground covered with useless brambles, no fruit, and weeds.

I decided to clear it and plant flowers for the birds and bees.  I cut the lot down and had a good fire over each bramble root, none has come back.

The soil is actually quite good, but planting flower plants was a failure, the rabbits always ate the lot.

I have planted surplus seed potatoes instead, the rabbits dug out the seed potatoes the first year, now I cover them with a net until the foilage appears, then they leave them alone!
STOP, and smell the roses!

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2020, 15:05 »

Fire! that which burns never returns!

Beside my plot there was a square piece of ground covered with useless brambles, no fruit, and weeds.

I decided to clear it and plant flowers for the birds and bees.  I cut the lot down and had a good fire over each bramble root, none has come back.

The soil is actually quite good, but planting flower plants was a failure, the rabbits always ate the lot.

I have planted surplus seed potatoes instead, the rabbits dug out the seed potatoes the first year, now I cover them with a net until the foilage appears, then they leave them alone!

Great idea, Jim...I may burn down 'The Turrets' at the same time, but at least the brambles will have vanished...

There are several in the hedges too, and I was attacked many times a week or so ago! I have actually tried a variation of the 'hair-clip' system, but they still came back and stabbed me again!

I will return - stab-wounds or no stab-wounds...

jezza

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2020, 19:59 »
Hello knock the brambles down with a good strimmer/ brush cutter with a tri blade then burn them, when theres regrowth keep cutting them down they dont like being re cut ,if timed right make last cut end of August beginning of September let regrowth come up and hopefully a good frost will get them,I've cleared brambles and nettles like this and not many come back the following year, if cut later into Seotember use a heavy duty line and come down onto the top of the stem and mangle them they won't regrow this year  jezza

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2020, 14:39 »
Hello knock the brambles down with a good strimmer/ brush cutter with a tri blade then burn them, when theres regrowth keep cutting them down they dont like being re cut ,if timed right make last cut end of August beginning of September let regrowth come up and hopefully a good frost will get them,I've cleared brambles and nettles like this and not many come back the following year, if cut later into Seotember use a heavy duty line and come down onto the top of the stem and mangle them they won't regrow this year  jezza

Trouble is, Jezza, that they're all in the hedges!

I really do need to be better at finding them before they attack me, and while I just love your idea, I do actually need the hedges to stop burglars, strays etc...

jezza

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2020, 15:38 »
Hello I didn't realise that the brambles where in the hedges theres no mention of hedges,  if you can find some good growth use SBK brush wood killer at 50ml to 1 litre  of water paint it on to the leaves using a piece of card board or plastic sheet  under the leaves to protect the hedge   jezza

jezza

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2020, 15:55 »
Hello I didn't realise that the brambles are in a hedge theees no mention of a hedge in your post , if you have any longer  bramble shoots use SBK brushed killer at 50ml per litre of water and paint the leaves use a piece of cardboard or plastic under the shoot to protect the hedge   jezza

question
Brambles.

Started by SunnyDays@7 on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post February 20, 2018, 18:46
by Plot 1 Problems
xx
Getting rid of brambles

Started by BarnBrian on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post August 30, 2008, 11:30
by Johndeb
xx
Dealing with brambles

Started by Tom Parrot on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post February 05, 2019, 13:42
by Tom Parrot
xx
Bindweed and brambles everywhere :/

Started by Carla on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post August 19, 2010, 19:05
by pigeonpie

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 43 queries.