Marigolds planted to ward off unwanted insects & bugs

• 8 Replies

shazam21

I've recently took over an allotment so I'm very inexperienced. I've looked to grow some lavender which I believe is good at attracting the right sort of insects and bugs to my plot (I guess for pollination?). I saw somewhere recently that if I was to grow marigolds this would help by deterring the unwanted insects and bugs, is there any truth in this?

Is it worth my planting a few around my plot?

Thanks

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Marigolds planted to ward off unwanted insects & bugs
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 08:58 »
The single flowered marigolds (tagetes are the ones you need)
http://www.suttons.co.uk/Gardening/Flower+Seeds/All+Flower+Seeds/Tagetes+Lemon+Gem_135442.htm

give some protection in the enclosed surroundings of a greenhouse/polytunnel, but I don't think they make any difference on the plot - but they do look pretty  :D

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 09:14 »
I've grown French marigolds alongside the tomatoes and cukes ever since I got my greenhouse 5 or so years ago, and have yet to see a whitefly or greenfly in there - what I don't know is whether that's down to the marigolds or luck, but I daren't stop now!

As MoS says, any beneficial effect is almost certain to be much less outdoors.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

AussieInFrance

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 12:52 »
I have found distributing a few nasturtiums across the garden to be reliable for the building up of ladybirds. There are some more attractive varieties on the market now. It's not long before you notice the ladybird larvae on the plants. They have a voracious appetite for aphids. Poached egg plants are beneficial for attracting hoverflies which gorge themselves on aphids as well. I think they work against whitefly as well, but i don't have any (that i've noticed) so can't attest to that.

Doesn't hurt to add a little colour to the garden, especially if it adds to the natural management of pests. Athough, a garden is best to have some pests or their predators won't hang about if there's an absence of food for their young. A matter of balance, but keep in mind it's very easy to distort the balance by the application of pesticides. Those little spray containers are just too tempting. Imitate nature for the best results. Natural predators will serve you well.
Grow lights for early germination;
Blow away on NE facing terrace for hardening off;
Small potager 90sq.m at 300metres
No-dig method, intensive planting and incorporating permaculture principles.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 18:14 »
I have grown huge African marigolds this year amongst the outdoor tomatoes, planted so close the roots intermingle. I read somewhere this is a good way of boosting the plant's immunity to diseases. They all look fabulous and I shall be doing the same next year.

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 18:18 »
Companion planting is I believe what you are referring to. I too grow marigolds in the greenhouse to prevent whitefly, seems to work, I grow English marigold at the allotment, to feed the bees & hoverflies which in turn can the help pollinate my vegetables & fruit. I've also got daffodils planted for an early source of nectar.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

shazam21

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 20:01 »
Ladies and gents,

Thank you so much for the replies, some very useful info and food for thought... I have a full morning at the allotment tomorrow, so a trip to the garden centre before hand is in store me thinks. Some really good stuff, thanks!

snowdrops

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 21:03 »
I can send you plenty of English marigold seeds if you like & anyone else if you pm me your address

shazam21

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2016, 21:39 »
I can send you plenty of English marigold seeds if you like & anyone else if you pm me your address

That's very kind of you snowdrops, I'll  save you the postage though, bought some today! :-)

clip
Insects

Started by mdjlucan on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post May 26, 2014, 14:17
by sunshineband
sad
Scale insects

Started by Carrie99 on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post July 12, 2015, 09:02
by RubyR3d
xx
insects on Agave

Started by muckyboots on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post February 20, 2016, 18:03
by muckyboots
xx
What insects attack laurel

Started by blackberryjam on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post March 22, 2013, 18:35
by blackberryjam

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 30 queries.