Battery Powered Strimmers

• 13 Replies

cadalot

Battery Powered Strimmers
« on: October 13, 2015, 16:46 »
OK boys and girls about 3 years ago my darling wife bought me a petrol strimmer that had been in the shed doing nought until last weekend when I took it to the new allotment only to find that the tube and the bulb that primes the thing had perished and so was one of two feeder tubes and it was leaking and the *&^*%$$£ thing would not start.

It was a Been and Queued Own bought £70 strimmer and it's now pretty much junk as I assume if I can find somewhere to get it looked at it would cost me as much or more than buying a new one.

I have however been looking at a NEW TRUESHOPPING® ELECTRIC GARDEN LAWN CORDLESS BATTERY POWERED GRASS STRIMMER TRIMMER 18V ET2505 on Amazon which has been reduced down to £29.99 + £5.95 Postage. I have read the reviews but would like to hear from anyone here on their experience with this or other battery powered strimmers before I decide what to do next.

AlaninCarlisle

Re: Battery Powered Strimmers
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 17:18 »
In my experience, battery-powered strimmers are a waste of time and money. They, like battery-powered hedge trimmers, are good for about two seasons before the battery deteriorates to the point that a full charge lasts about ten minutes or less

DanielCoffey

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 18:08 »
Can you get spares for the petrol strimmer? You are no worse off than having asked FreeCycle for one and having to overhaul it first.

If it was totally unused, could you approach B&Q and ask them to meet you part way on the cost?

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 18:23 »
I'm in my third year using a Bosch 18v strimmer. Delighted with it. It uses blades not nylon cord, easy to change and a charge lasts long enough to strim an allotment size piece of grass- not a lawn.  Rheumatoid arthritis means I find it easier to use than a lawn mower.

Steveharford

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 19:19 »
Battery strimmers have really moved on since they adapted the li Ion batteries. They last a long time and hold their charge when not in use. They are great for edging lawns and general tidying of other areas as long as they have not grown too long. The line used is quite thin and the power just isn't there for heavy work. They are really light to handle and are instantly ready to go if kept constantly on the charger. I'm a petrol man but have bought one because of the above plus points. Oh and I only paid about 70 quid

ARPoet

• Experienced Member
  • I love growing and eating beans
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 19:24 »
Yes, i have one of these.. had it all summer and it does the job for me. Only had to charge it once.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00GZLFR56
Also got a Bosch cordless hedge cutter, and that's great too.
Roger.

Its Grand Being Daft

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 20:24 »
My Bosch 14.4 volt cordless hedge-trimmer was great when I bought it 5 years ago but now only holds a charge for about 10 minutes of use. Now, I have to use a fully electric one with two 50metre reels of cable to reach the front hedge. (I have a 2-stroke petrol trimmer but the fumes were giving me hay-fever-like symptoms so I can only use it on a windy day

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 22:50 »
We gave up on the battery powered strummer....battery didn't last and it didn't have the power needed to cope with tough grass at the allotment.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2015, 10:35 »
Can't comment on the performance of the Trueshopping strimmer you have found, but I notice it does used NiCad rather than Li-ion batteries, which probably means you will be lucky to get more than 2 years effective use out of them, but at that price it probably would be cheaper than repairing the petrol one, so may be worth a punt.

My Bosch cordless hedge trimmer cost around £80 and first one, then the other, battery started to fail after 2 years of quite light use - replacements cost almost exactly the same as the original product!  :ohmy:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

grendel

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2015, 12:36 »
I too got one of those B&Q petrol strimmers, and have used it regularly, with no problems, I doo drain the fuel out after using it though, and would expect to replace the fuel pipes every few years as they do rot, our local mower repair place sells the correct fuel tubing (take a bit along or the machine to make sure to get the correct size - they would probably even fit it for you for a small consideration.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2015, 13:41 »
I'm on my second battery strimmer. The first only lasted 2 winters and it was cheaper to buy new than replace the battery. The new one has a lithium battery and is much better. It works for longer about 20 mins, seems to be holding it's charge well and it is going into its third winter now.  I do leave it on charge all the time even through the winter as per instructions, so it means a dedicated socket for it.
Anne

cadalot

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2015, 17:14 »
Thanks for all the feedback. Amazon had obviously been looking at the cookies I have on my system and what I had been surfing and I received an email from them informing me that there was a special offers on a  TRUESHOPPING® Lithium-ion powered battery cordless grass strimmer edger 18V with free removable height adjuster wheel for £20.99 & 5.95 delivery, so at that price I bought one.

See http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CRQYD44/ref=pe_885411_84559951_em_1p_3_ti

I have a load of the blades from a previous corded strimmer and lawn mower plus the £1 shop used to sell them and I have a few packs in the shed still, so as I will have woodchip paths it will only be the path either end of the allotment to strim and my postage stamp back garden hopefully it will serve me well for two to three years.
2015-10-15 Trueshopping Lithium-ion Cordless Grass strimmer..jpg

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2015, 18:20 »
Just checked the batteries for my utterly useless Bosch hedge-trimmer. There are two battery-packs and they are Ni/Cd so maybe the lithium ones are a vast improvement

steved

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2015, 12:27 »
My Bosch 14.4 volt cordless hedge-trimmer was great when I bought it 5 years ago but now only holds a charge for about 10 minutes of use. Now, I have to use a fully electric one with two 50metre reels of cable to reach the front hedge. (I have a 2-stroke petrol trimmer but the fumes were giving me hay-fever-like symptoms so I can only use it on a windy day

I had the same issues with 2 stroke mixes so changed to Aspen 2T.
No more health problems and has the added benefit of being able to be kept in the machine for up to 2 years without rotting fuel lines and primer bulbs.
The only downside is the price, about £19 for 5 litres, but i think its worth it for the amount i use each year keeping the allotment paths and hedges in check.
Political Correctness-a concept based on the idea that its possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

xx
Battery powered lawnmowers

Started by doubledug on Equipment Shed

12 Replies
Last post June 13, 2010, 01:02
by Paul Plots
xx
Battery Powered Shredder

Started by Ropster on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post March 17, 2009, 18:31
by celjaci
xx
Battery powered strimmer

Started by londongardener on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post December 01, 2018, 08:36
by Veg Plot 1B
xx
Battery strimmers

Started by mumofstig on Equipment Shed

24 Replies
Last post July 31, 2011, 13:43
by Gwiz

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 41 queries.