Great book for beginners

• 9 Replies

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
Great book for beginners
« on: June 17, 2010, 14:12 »
I have 2-3 books, ranging from the purely basic 'Keeping Pet Chickens' to the rather-overwhelming-for-a-beginner Storey's Guide and I find that between the two, there is lots that goes unanswered (which is why this forum has been so helpful), especially regarding breeds, hybrids and the differences therein...

Anyway, I was in our local bargain store (everything from perfume to power tools) and they had a new book display. On it, for £4.99, was Chris Graham's 'Choosing & Keeping Chickens'. Ah well, I thought, it's probably not much cop' but it's cheap and a fairly hefty hardback.

on first mooch, it is very good for a beginner such as myself - much more scope in the care aspect and loads on breeds.  :)

Casey76

Re: Great book for beginners
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 14:33 »
I am particularly impressed with the new Haynes Chicken Manual.

Lots on case (daily, weekly, monthly etc tasks), how to choose a hen, what to look for to spot a sick hen, how to pick them up etc.  Quite a bit on the more popular breeds.  How to build your own coop (including measurments and materials list).

Also, how to dispatch, pluck and dress a table bird.

I found it an excellent read, even though I class myself as a novice now, rather than a beginner!

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 14:37 »
I'll check that one out, thanks Casey.  :)

carolbriar

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 15:39 »
I like the Haynes Chicken manual as well :)
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

Foghorn-Leghorn

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 16:12 »
Another vote here for the Haynes Chicken Manual  :)
"The chicken came first—God would look silly sitting on an egg."

— Author Unknown

Elcie

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 22:04 »
I have the Haynes manual but when I wondered what the small lumpy bit was on the back of a chicken, I couldn't find the answer.  I asked on here and within an hour or two I had the answer - the preening gland.  I love books and would always recommend them but I have yet to find one that provides as many satisfactory answers as this site does!

Foghorn-Leghorn

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 22:21 »
That's very true - this site is a godsend.  I'm always happy to read books and research on the internet too, but for good, honest hands on advice from people who've generally been there and done that - you can't beat this forum.  :)

hillfooter

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 22:28 »
I have the Haynes manual but when I wondered what the small lumpy bit was on the back of a chicken, I couldn't find the answer.  I asked on here and within an hour or two I had the answer - the preening gland.  I love books and would always recommend them but I have yet to find one that provides as many satisfactory answers as this site does!

Well if you look under the annual maintenance chapter in the Haynes Manual pg 47 you will see it's a grease nipple for lubricating the tail!
HF
Truth through science.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 16:55 »
I've been meaning to get the Haynes manual, it got great reviews, and not just from this site.  My fav chook book so far is 'Keeping Chickens' by Jeremy Hobson and Celia Lewis, beautiful photos, and good easy to follow info.

But will get the Haynes to add to my collection and will have a look at Chris Graham's 'Choosing & Keeping Chickens' . . . best check I've not already got it though.

Curlytop

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 17:59 »
I had the Haynes Chicken Manual for my birthday last week and have read it from cover to cover, i was impressed and couldn't put it down, but I have to agree this site is also great  :)

xx
Chickens for beginners - some humorous tips

Started by Abacus on Chicken Chat

55 Replies
Last post September 17, 2012, 08:12
by symonep
xx
What is it with chicken book writers?

Started by andreadon on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post October 15, 2011, 15:24
by andreadon
xx
Recommend a good book on chicken breeding genetics anyone?

Started by hillfooter on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post March 13, 2011, 13:00
by CluckyChicken
xx
A great retirement..

Started by sneezer on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post April 08, 2012, 22:31
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 38 queries.