Sprouts

• 5 Replies

newseedling

Sprouts
« on: April 02, 2009, 16:14 »
This is my first year in my allotment and i've never grown a bean before, seem to be getting along okay alhough i am wondering about how many plants to plant.  There is only my husband and me, but i have an extended family so the question is.  When i finally plant my sprouts into their final position how many plants should i plant.  I would like quite a good crop, so i can blanch and freeze etc.???
DELI X

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Sprouts
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 17:58 »
Dr Hessayon's book says to expect on average up to 1kg per plant, and that final spacing for individual plants is about 80cm (or 50cm for Peer Gynt variety for a crop of small sprouts).

Never grown the horrid veg myself  ;) but Dr H is usually pretty reliable.  Just make sure you firm the soil properly when you plant or they will not grow properly.

You may find you get more replies in the GYO forum - hopefully a moderator will move the thread for you.

P.S. Welcome to the site, spend many happy hours browsing the information pages and other posts, not to mention asking many more questions for which you may get a few sensible answers  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 20:58 »
I grow 40 plants to keep the 3 of us going, with enough to freeze.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 21:07 »
Welcome! I popped it over here for you newseedling (when will you be oldseedling?  :D Dont answer that!!)

My sprouts blew last year,so I didnt get a one,but Ive learned this year what to do and optimistically planting 30. But I want enough for Christmas dindins at least  :D
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Jay Dubya

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 21:10 »
Hi, theres only me and the missus so know what you mean, i usually grow a dozen plants of most brassicas inc. sprouts and find that enough, except for succesional plants like callabreese which i plant six each month. Cabbages i plant about a foot apart because i don't want huge for just us, but sprouts need the full distance to thrive. also if you grow spring summer autumn and winter cabbages you'll have a good suply. I forgot to add that i grow an early and a late sprout ( 12 of each ) to get a longer season as i do with most varieties where possible.

newseedling

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 20:26 »
Thanx for all ur messgaes with regards to my sprout problem, i think you have answered my questions.  This site is ace and i will no doubt be ack for more help in the not too distant future, happy growing :D

xx
sprouts

Started by loobs61 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 18, 2014, 17:22
by Totty
xx
sprouts

Started by Linexe on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 13, 2011, 19:17
by sunshineband
xx
sprouts.........

Started by hogchops on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 25, 2010, 15:30
by hamstergbert
xx
Sprouts Help pls

Started by rink123 on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post November 10, 2008, 17:42
by milkman

Page created in 0.352 seconds with 35 queries.