DIY window coldframe

• 6 Replies

Ed89

DIY window coldframe
« on: April 02, 2012, 21:56 »
Hi all,

Got in contact with a local glazing company and to ask if they could donate any old windows in frames.

The most helpful guy ever rang me up asked what I was making, how big it was going to be and what sort of stuff I'd like. So he is collecting enough for me, then will even deliver it to me when he has enough stuff for the job.

Any suggestions on how to build it, I am pretty confident with my woodwork but any help on designs etc would be great.

Cheers

Ed
Young and first year growing looking for help and advice along the way!

noshed

Re: DIY window coldframe
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 22:13 »
You just want a box with a glass lid really. I made one with 2 big windows for the roof and two narrow windows at the front for extra light. I bodged the rest out of pallets. The other one is just a big old sash window on top of a pallet wood box. I've made the hinge edge higher than the front to catch the sun.
I didn't bother putting a bottom in the boxes, I just sat them on weed suppressant material.
They are both very useful, even though my carpentry isn't great and there's loads of gaps.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

VegGirl7

• Experienced Member
    • allotmentforaginghomebrewadventures
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 22:17 »
i just use bricks to the right size and lay window over the top - I don't cement them so I can make them taller/shorter depending on what's in them...  :D

Willow_Warren

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 11:06 »
Hum... this is an interesting topic as I have a pile of square (and some triangular) sheets of glass out the back of the shed (which I think was left from a previous tennant, and is the remains of a green house) I wonder if they could be utilised into a cold frame (my DIY skills are limited though, could be a controlling factor  :wacko:)

Hannah

Ed89

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 12:44 »
Hi the problem with glass sheets is it's pretty tricky to make a cold frame thing out of unless you are just laying them on top a wooden box for a roof, and even then you don't want them to blow away.

You would need to find a way to attach them to wood so you could screw the hole lot together and that would mean making a wooden frame and using Evo Stick style adhesives.

Unless you can get glass clips???? I don't know about anything like that though.

But as far as I can I tell glazing companies are throwing away windows in wooden frames, and paying for it too. So just trying to send a friendly e-mail to your local company worked well for me. And they are even delivering it too me!!!!

So the guys should be coming monday or tuesday, so I'll get back to you with what they give.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 13:32 »
Old double glazed windows are ideal for coldframes.  Here is the one Brian made me about 6-7 years ago!
COLD FRAME 29 APR 07.JPG

Ed89

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 18:25 »
Is making a few without a bottom to put over seedlings in a be a good idea or would you recomend making one larger cabinet style, or so both have thier advantages.

Looks simple and solid Grannie, I was thinking of doing something a bit more complex, not sure why though might keep it simple!

:) cheers all

xx
d i y coldframe

Started by Chrysalis on Design and Construction

25 Replies
Last post November 03, 2011, 22:17
by Paul Plots
xx
going to build a coldframe

Started by philskin on Design and Construction

10 Replies
Last post May 28, 2008, 08:50
by philskin
xx
coldframe repair

Started by katie on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post November 10, 2008, 16:47
by muntjac
xx
coldframe ideas please

Started by prakash_mib on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post September 14, 2010, 17:38
by noshed

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 28 queries.