How and When to Prune my Grape Vine??

• 1 Replies

mcbennett1

How and When to Prune my Grape Vine??
« on: August 04, 2020, 10:09 »
Hi there! New to all this gardening stuff, but excited to dive in and get involved.

Long story short, I have just moved into a house in Ibiza, Spain and in the garden there are various plants and trees (Pear, Apricot, Avocado etc). However, my main project is the grape vine. Its pretty mature and looks sturdy, but also looks as if it hasn't been well looked after for a while. There a lot of browning leaves and branches that look un well amongst a generally healthy looking vine. It has several bunches of grapes already, but they are all rotten and regularly a bunch will fall on its own.

I know it needs a bit of love, but I don't really know where to start. I want to prune it, but what do I remove, and is now the best time of year to be doing so? I have read a lot about pruning in the spring, and to ensure the plant is healthy for the colder months, however is this less relevant in a Mediterranean climate? Also, should I be watering it? And if so, how regularly? (Like I said, very new to all of this, but enthusiastic to get into it and do it well!)

Any advice will be much appreciated! Thank you!
IMG_5092.jpeg
IMG_5094.jpeg
IMG_5096.jpeg
IMG_5097.jpeg

jambop

Re: How and When to Prune my Grape Vine??
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 13:21 »
Well it is an old and very well established vine which as we see is producing fruit. It is growing on what is basically a cordon system but there may be a split in the main trunk I cannot see. What you may want to do is wait until the growing season is over and the vine is dormant. Then go right back to the ground and follow the main trunk up from ground level and then prune all the canes back to two buds. If the trunk does split into two or even three follow along each branch and again prune back the canes come off it back to two buds... jobs done! In the spring these buds will break and produce new fruit bearing canes it is up to you if you want to keep them all you should get a bunch of grapes from each new cane so if you think the vine will support that many grapes then go for it if not you may want to remove the new growth that is furthest away from the main trunk. This is what I do will my cordons as I feel that eight or so decent bunches per plant is enough and sometimes you get much smaller grapes if you leave too many on the plant. Good luck! Regarding watering I would give the plant water if you have a long dry period during the growing season.

edit
here is a video... in French but you will get the drift... or maybe you speak? Anyway these vines closely relate to what I think you have so if you follow these guys you wont be far off.

COMMENT TAILLER LA VIGNE EN CORDON (CHASSELAS) - YouTube
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 16:51 by jambop »

xx
Grape vine "Prune"

Started by mrs bouquet on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post July 16, 2018, 15:04
by mrs bouquet
xx
Grape vine

Started by Allotmentbabe1968 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 13, 2020, 21:56
by hasbeans
xx
Grape vine

Started by fallen angel on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post November 08, 2007, 18:02
by gobs
xx
grape vine

Started by foster75 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 17, 2010, 22:08
by solway cropper

Page created in 0.386 seconds with 40 queries.