Odd piece of equipment of brewing equipment?

• 11 Replies

JohnB

Odd piece of equipment of brewing equipment?
« on: May 06, 2011, 16:06 »
    I was given a piece of equipment the other day and I wonder if anyone can help me find out what it is. It is funnel like with a lid, inside of which there is second piece. The top has 2 small raised pieces (tubes) with holes one marked inlet the other vent. The bottom of the funnel although tapering is not round but 4 sided? It is marked boots. Any ideas? Will try to post picture but having difficulty as there are to many pixees.  Thanks JB

JohnB

Re: Odd piece of equipment of brewing equipment?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 16:12 »
This?
Funnel Cider.jpg

JohnB

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 17:28 »
Arhh retook pictures with less pixies:-
Various 18.jpg

JohnB

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 17:34 »
And another angle
Various 19.jpg

mike1987

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 18:36 »
its a wine filter (boots i think) more morden version i use one on all my wines if you dont have instructions for it they are here you will need a length of syphon tube and a smaler lengh with a tap atached

JohnB

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 12:38 »
its a wine filter (boots i think) more morden version i use one on all my wines if you dont have instructions for it they are here you will need a length of syphon tube and a smaler lengh with a tap atached

Thankyou Mike, it was a Boots wine filter but there is a part missing one of the disc. Pity I was going to make elderberry wine this year and it might have been usefull. Thanks very much for your help.   JB

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 14:23 »
Definitely a Boots wine filter.  It sits on top of a demijon with a length of tubing to go to a higher d/j and a short length of pipe with a stop valve on it.  You open the tap and suck to get the wine from the higher d/j into the filter and then turn off the valve.  Ensure they are put together well or they have a tendancy to leak.  Hope this helps.  Cheers,   Tony.

P.S. I use this filter prior to a Harris filter system, far far better in my opinion.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

JohnB

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 18:22 »
Definitely a Boots wine filter.  It sits on top of a demijon with a length of tubing to go to a higher d/j and a short length of pipe with a stop valve on it.  You open the tap and suck to get the wine from the higher d/j into the filter and then turn off the valve.  Ensure they are put together well or they have a tendancy to leak.  Hope this helps.  Cheers,   Tony.

P.S. I use this filter prior to a Harris filter system, far far better in my opinion.

Do you think it is usable with one of the discs missing it is disc B on this following site  http://www.homewinemaking.co.uk/boots_filter_pads.html  They are not supplying parts for the Boots filter anymore.  Thank you JB

JohnB

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 18:24 »

Do you mean the Harris is better.  Thanks again JB

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 20:48 »

If you can use the old 'lateral thinking grey cells' and come up with a firm plastic mesh you can carefully cut to fit it may work.  As there is a strong support under it, I'd give it a go without disk B using water .   

I'm sure I've seen a circular plastic sieve somewhere.   Are they still suplying the filter elements?

I should gurgle the Harris quickfine filter system.  It is a labourious job, but your wine comes out so clear and with such a sparkle never to be equalled, it is all worth while.   Best wishes in your quest and Cheers,   :wacko:  Tony.

JohnB

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 11:35 »

I'd give it a go without disk B using water .   
Yes you are right looks like a lot of support but try and find some plastic mesh but it should be food safe. although I am not sure that is not overdone.

I'm sure I've seen a circular plastic sieve somewhere.   Are they still suplying the filter elements?
  I will look in Ebay and Wilkos when i go into town live miles from any shops.

I should gurgle the Harris quickfine filter system.  It is a labourious job, but your wine comes out so clear and with such a sparkle never to be equalled, it is all worth while. 
   Harris stiill sell the Boots pads (they claim to have been the suppliers for Boots all along) worse though is they kept all the spare parts untill 3 years ago but had no demand for them< Bu**er. Again thanks for your help JB

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 21:13 »

John B,   "aint it always the case" ! ! !   Cheers,   Tony.

xx
Where do you keep your equipment?

Started by Mahogony on Homebrew

4 Replies
Last post March 08, 2010, 19:46
by nobby90
xx
recipes and equipment

Started by Teabag on Homebrew

7 Replies
Last post January 26, 2009, 09:19
by Clampit
xx
what equipment for wine

Started by anitaws on Homebrew

4 Replies
Last post March 01, 2009, 13:30
by SG6
xx
Winemaking equipment

Started by AndyRVTR on Homebrew

6 Replies
Last post August 04, 2011, 18:26
by AndyRVTR

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 39 queries.