Can fish scraps be composted?

• 24 Replies

David.

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2007, 19:18 »
My wife (before marriage) was a vegetarian - we compromised on both eating fish/seafood that I caught and using rabbits I shot as dogfood.

Rats will chew up your compost without meat scraps being added, so you might as well make it rat proof from the beginning.

All my fish generally come back home filleted/etc., (dogfish cartilage can be eaten by dogs), but sometimes I don't get time to fillet them all and some bones/heads/etc. go in the compost

gobs

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2007, 19:29 »
That's a good point there David, which just reminded me once reading an article on their eating habits, apparently they chose the healthiest diet available to them and first of all going for fresh as opposed to rottening, so the whole compost bin might just be a nice cosy warm nesting place, regardless what's in there  :?:  :?
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

muntjac

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2007, 20:28 »
boil it up  mince it feed it to the cats or put it in the freezer and feed a bit to to ya chucks every week   :wink:  thge birds wil take it cooked as well :lol: . dont feed heavy oily fresh fish scraps to chooks tho
still alive /............

Trillium

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2007, 21:57 »
We get fish from time to time and mostly they're inedible due to high mercury counts, so we simply bury them under fruit trees or corn when in season. Never had a problem yet of animals digging them up, and the trees and plants really love the decomposed fish. If your fish carcases are still fresh, you could do soups first then bury the bones, etc. I'd never ever put it in composters simply because every 4 legged creature would be after it, and worms are strict vegetarians  :wink:

WG.

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2007, 21:59 »
How do you know the mercury count then?

Trillium

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2007, 22:12 »
County reports about our polluted waterways and warnings not to eat local wild fish. If you want an exact count, you're welcome to come over and measure  :wink:  :lol:

WG.

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2007, 22:21 »
You haven't been over spreading Calomel Dust in Ontario have ya Munt?  :?

muntjac

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2007, 22:29 »
nah we was tha same in tenn they had all sorts sghit fed to the fish from oooop north
 :lol:

DellDGM

• Location: Australia- South Australia trying organic gardening
    • http://farmintheburbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2007, 11:32 »
I know a lot of people here near the sea or the river mush up fish guts and soak in water in a sealled container and use the water the garden like a fertilizer like seasol and their gardens go nuts -  you can mix with compost to make up the tea like mixture but you don't put the stuff in your compost
Dell
Spending time between the garden and the munchkins!
http://farmintheburbs.blogspot.com/

muntjac

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2007, 11:33 »
Quote from: "DellDGM"
I know a lot of people here near the sea or the river mush up fish guts and soak in water in a sealled container and use the water the garden like a fertilizer like seasol and their gardens go nuts -  you can mix with compost to make up the tea like mixture but you don't put the stuff in your compost

thats chum matey , i bet they have husbands and wives that have left them or gone to look after relatives  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  .nice things is sharks  :wink:

xx
What weeds can be composted?

Started by Elm street on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 14, 2014, 22:17
by Elm street
xx
can these things be composted?

Started by doreensallotment on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 10, 2009, 21:17
by HelenaK
xx
can tomato plants be composted

Started by Caretaker on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post September 29, 2013, 18:02
by mumofstig
xx
Can Potato Haulms be composted safely?

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 03, 2008, 10:22
by gobs

Page created in 0.276 seconds with 29 queries.