Choosing a POL bird

• 4 Replies

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
Choosing a POL bird
« on: December 08, 2009, 08:31 »
We visiting a breeder tomorrow to choose three POL birds ... what should I look for? What are the signs of a good breeder and a healthy bird?
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

francais

• Experienced Member
Re: Choosing a POL bird
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 09:43 »
Don't know what advice to offer over buying birds as I am very new to chickens myself, but would say that as with any livestock - recommendations & reputations of a breeder is priority.

Ask around - even ask the breeder if they have any contact details for buyers like you who have had his birds. Speak to them and get their view - any good breeder wouldn't mind I am sure!

Have a look around - are the pens clean? is the place well kept? do the birds look happy? Would have thought that these points are universal across any animal or bird.

Sure the more knowledgeable on here (they are a great group of ladies & gents) will be able to offer a more specific buying guide.

Toni

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 13:47 »
check and make sure they have not got snotty noses, not sneezing, no puffy eyes, that they are alert and not sitting hunched up. check their legs and that there are no raised scales, have a good nosey around - have you visited this breeder before? Do you know others who have had birds from them and ideally take somebody with you who will remain impartial so that you don't just buy them regardless in your eagerness to get some girls. If in any doubt walk away.
Having said that I wish you well with your new girls  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

grumpydad

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 14:49 »
from doing a lot of reading and having lost some birds, it would appear that wyandottes do seem to be quite hardy birds, not succeptible as some breeds to illnesses, available in lots of colours and sizes.
birds claimed to be vaccinated will not mean that they will not have problems, you will still need to have good husbandry, cleanliness is the best way to keep your hens healthy, and make sure that you have medication before you start, once they are ill they need treatment quickly

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 20:19 »
Found the farm OK ... but no-one about!! To cut a long story short, they'd all gone out and I dealt with the lady in the office who looks after another part of the business ... she didn't know one end of a hen from the other!

However, once we'd located the shed with the POL birds in ... a wide range of varieties ... I had to catch them myself! I aimed for the ones with the reddest combs, and the third bird actually crouched to be caught, so I thought they may be nearer POL than I imagined ... and indeed, one of them laid me an egg on the way home!!

Despite today's complications, I think I'd go back .. the farm was clean and well organised, and the main man (never did find out where he'd gone!) breeds bantams for his own pleasure  :-D

xx
Choosing new bantam

Started by Redgoat on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 12, 2014, 21:19
by spud
xx
Choosing chickens and their age

Started by RuthG on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 18, 2008, 23:32
by nettynoodles1
xx
Choosing Chooks?

Started by mickwood on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 25, 2008, 17:26
by pushrod
clip
Choosing a coop

Started by pennynctwarrell on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 30, 2020, 17:14
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.254 seconds with 39 queries.