Compost heap/bin yay or nay?

• 14 Replies

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
Compost heap/bin yay or nay?
« on: February 11, 2016, 17:16 »
Ok is a compost heap/bin a must have?

I ask because I don't think I could put equal amounts/layers in and wonder how everyone does it?

I am currently chopping back and digging out unwanted fruit bushes and plants and thought I might start a heap with them all. In the summer I can put small amounts of grass clippings in (the rest can go in my brown bin) and plenty of hedge cuttings if need be but don't think I can get enough cardboard and such in there? Am I worying too much? Should I give it a go with weeds too etc and hope it does ok? I am also single so there isn't much kitchen waste really as some weeks I don't eat any fresh veg as I have curry or pasta etc.

I plan on having seperate leaf mould bins too as I have woodland at the back so plenty of leaves fall in my garden :-)

Many thanks.

Trikidiki

Re: Compost heap/bin yay or nay?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 17:51 »
Don't be too worried about the proportions, remember all that dead plant material wants to rot down. All the talk of layers and equal measures of 'browns and greens' is aimed at optimal conditions to get a quick rot.

The one thing to try and avoid is masses of grass clippings that will either dry out completely and not rot if they are kept too dry or produce a slimy mass if allowed to get too wet. Just put it all in the bin, mix everything as best you can and it will eventually break down. If things get too dry water it, if it gets too wet turn the wet bits to the top so they can dry and add something to separate them, use some of your leaves if necessary or a bit of soil would do the job in the absence of anything else.

Cut up the fruit bushes as small as possible. the hedge clippings and grass clippings will make a pretty good mix.

Avoid putting any weed seed heads in as you are not going to get a hot enough heap to kill the seeds. My previous plot owner did this and donated the compost to me and they all germinated when I spread it on the plot.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 19:03 »
Don't forget you can shred paper (e.g. old bank statements, credit card receipts) to add some 'browns'.

Go for it - I don't fill my compost bin every year, but there's still a fair bit of compost that I can proudly spread on my soil!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 20:08 »
Excellent :-) My next question then is if I heap up clippings etc in a corner will it be ok while I gather bits to build a bin? I'm assuming while it's in a heap I shouldn't add anything that may attract rats?

Many thanks.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 21:05 »
Yes, should be OK.  Avoid anything that will attract rats even after you build the bin.

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 22:53 »
Surely any kitchen waste will attract the though?

gremlin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 23:06 »
Any rats or mice will much prefer the bin to a heap.....Much warmer, drier and safer from cats or foxes.

I avoid meat, dairy or cooked food but the rest, such as green leaves, spud peelings or tea bags goes in and there doesn't seem to be problem.
Sometimes my plants grow despite, not because of, what I do to them.

andimac

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 07:21 »
I have 3 bins and try (but usually fail) to turn them frequently in order to speed everything up. As the other posters have said, anything other than cooked food and meat is good for a compost bin but if you find it is a bit slow to rot down then you could mix in a little manure to accelerate the process.

Much as I like my bins, I can see advantages in having a heap instead.
It can be turned more easily to speed up composting.
It would be easier to mix different types of garden waste.
You could relocate it to unused areas so that the underlying soil is enriched and can be planted on after moving the heap to the new spot.
Disadvantage however is that it might look a bit messy and despite all that turning, it may still be slow to form compost as it doesn't warm up enough!
But it's still worth doing as it will save a fair bit of money compared to buying fresh compost all the time!

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 07:45 »
Thanks everyone I think I may stick to a heap  :) I have had dalek bins before without much sucsess (to be fair I didn't use them long before I lost my plot due to ill health) and never got to the point of turning them which I think with my health issues I may struggle to do from a bin. I was going to build a very basic bin as in 4 sides of pallet wood joined by wire with one side left unwired so I can fully open it. This way it is contained but not awkward when it comes to turning. Having said that though reading your posts has made me think I probably won't even bother doing that now and just have a heap somewhere :)

Many thanks

Christine

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 08:57 »
Someone gave me a roll of heavy black plastic when I started out on the allotment and I found a collection of bricks to hold it down. So I have a compost heap because I have the space and the things to cover it to keep it warm and the wild life other than worms out of it.

Just don't cover your heap with carpet - most of them leech chemicals, weeds grow through them and many allotment sites ban the use of carpet anyway. Oh and it's flaming heavy to move when wet.  ;)

Trikidiki

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 11:02 »
Go with the pallet idea but make two bins. Load everything into one bin and when it starts to get full turn it into the other. By the time the first bin is full again the second bin contents should be ready to use.

This is the basis of my 'system' but I use four bins and sieve the compost into the last bin from where it is used for potato tubs, large tomato planters etc. It comes out better than the stuff they sell in bags these days and all for free.

When I go shopping each week I put my groceries in a strong cardboard box at the supermarket and it goes straight on the pile when I've finished with it.

snowdrops

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2016, 19:09 »
And if you have the 2/3/4  bin system that Trickie advises you can add some of that fresh steaming manure you have access too( another thread) in layers as you build all but the last heap(3/4) to get it hotted up😊 Easy Peasy 😄
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2016, 20:35 »
I was planning on building 2 but now think I will have to do 3 or 4 lol and yes I was thinking of adding some to heat it up I never thought at 38 I would be so excited over horse poop  :D

finleyfreyaseth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2016, 07:28 »
I'm not knocking all those that meticulously turn and layer there compost heaps as its each to there own , but from my own experiences I just throw stuff in as it comes if ive mowed the lawn it goes in, when I clean the chickens out it goes in, when I cut the hedge it goes in, once the bag is full at home with kitchen compostables it goes in, only time I put some effort into it is when I think it needs some fresh manure ill get half doz bags from stables and throw it in then its left to its own devices ,I also throw in cardboard boxes etc.

Trikidiki

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2016, 09:20 »
All my material goes in as it arrives also. The only thing I don't dump straight in is the grass clippings I cadge from my neighbour who has a large lawn. I did it once and it created a matted wet slimy layer. Now I put a bag full of it in then add another bag when something else has gone in. I did get a problem when I added a huge pile of jasmine prunings in one go as well.

Your method of piling it on and leaving it will work, finley, but it may take a bit longer. The layering and turning just speeds up the process.

Each to their own. I put onions and citrus skins in mine which is taboo in some circles.

xx
Which veg' for the compost heap?

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 27, 2020, 14:35
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Compost heap help

Started by Plot74 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 21:53
by Plot74
xx
can this go on compost heap?

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post November 01, 2008, 20:34
by SPOTTIES
xx
compost heap help

Started by binner on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 12, 2009, 10:21
by binner

Page created in 0.351 seconds with 38 queries.