New Allotment

• 4 Replies

jeffers71

New Allotment
« on: August 28, 2008, 17:04 »
I have just been given a '5 pole' allotment, I new to this and would like some ideas where to start ?

Would like to grow things with my kids, not to much time on my ands, so a easy to manage/maintain plot is what I'm aiming for !

jono2507

New Allotment
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 22:17 »
Congratulations on securing the alltoment, we're new to this game to...

You could try some onions and spring cabbage ready for next year, not sure what else you can put in that'll give a return this year, but I reckon you could try perpetual spinach and I've just put some turnips too...

There's plenty of people on this forum that'll have more ideas for you!!

Good luck!!!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
New Allotment
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 22:40 »
Hi Jeffers,

If you have a look on the front page of this website, there's a number of links to information pages.  These include how to clear a plot, and what to plant each month.

If you need a book to read, there's a few around but you could do far worse than start with Vegetable Growing Month by Month, also available through this site if you so choose.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Breadsnapper

New Allotment
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 15:47 »
I got my first lotty this year and someone on here gave me the advice to grow staright away, which i did.  I cleared one quarter of my plot and threw in some spuds, carrots, peas, onions and beans.  The fact that stuff starts growing makes you want to do more so that plot that is overun with weeds soon gets cleared.  i have just put in , mizuna, lettuce, onions, spring cabbage and spinach for next year.  you might want to try these.  One thing i have found is that it requires quite a bit of work, but i think in my case by staring off on a small patch then expanding, rather than utilising my whole plot has helped me a great deal. hope this helps.
JUST BECUASE YOU'RE PARANOID, IT DOESN'T MEAN THEY'RE NOT AFTER YOU!

jono2507

New Allotment
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 16:55 »
Good call Breadsnapper

That was the single best piece of advice I was given when I started out....just clear a bit at a time, get something in and start seeing the fruits (and veg) of your labour, otherwise you'll end up killing yourself and then you'll lose interest....

xx
My first allotment!

Started by littlemisssunshine on Grow Your Own

51 Replies
Last post November 01, 2007, 22:05
by littlemisssunshine
xx
Allotment

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 29, 2020, 18:58
by Dev
xx
New allotment

Started by RichardD on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 18, 2010, 10:43
by Beetroot queen
xx
New allotment

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 10, 2016, 20:55
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.342 seconds with 39 queries.